she is a HE! new pitcures please check out (page 3)

jasonm11

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
tioga tx
Newbie here, when will my tom show his snood? When will his head turn blue. he is a 5 month old bourbon red / rio grande and bronze cross

Well I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to post their opinions about my bird. Everyone said the dark bird was a hen, everyone was unfortunately wrong. The bird is definately a tom. I just introduced my new eastern wild tom and hen to the birds this afternoon. Before I was able to put the new tom in the run the dark bird puffed out and the snood became visable. He is the alpha tom at this piont and after about 10 minutes of posturing and pecking they are one harmonious group. Will post pictures and video later.

Last edited:
Snood.

His snood should be apparent if "he is a he" now. The snood is the floppy bump thing that hangs off to either side of his beak. It elongates when he thinks it is "sexy time", and shrinks up when he is at rest, frightened, or concerned. Hens have a tiny snood that just sits there.

Are there any hens around him, and does he strut yet? If "he" hasn't started strutting, even for other birds like chickens, I might question the prediction as to his gender.

Got a picture?

Quote:
72229_foul_play_011.jpg

72229_foul_play_009.jpg

Quote:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Sorry about you not getting any toms. The dark hen looks like my bronze/naragansett mutt.

Well it will be okay. I am going to get a Naragansett tom this weekend. I will be looking for a snood on this one.
smile.png

I am told the dark one is half bourbon red/quarter rio grande/quarter bronze and has been strutting in front of the dominant tom. I am told it is about 5-6 months old . Size wise it is several lbs heavier than a 2 yr old boubon red hen i have. Could it be a late blooming tom?

When our toms were 5 months old, there was no doubt about who wore the britches. Big droopy snoods, big puffy red caranucles, lots of gobbling and strutting. The hens ignored it all, and spent all their time scratching in the straw, looking for snacks.

Back
Top Bottom