1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She is an outsider

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crayon, Aug 22, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    I have 9 chicks that are 15 weeks old.... Then another 9 that are 5 weeks old.

My oldest chicks free range the younger ones are still in a run.

One of my older EEer pullets seems like such an outsider- we find her often on her own strolling the yard. The other chickens do not pick on her at all- they lay with her when she come around and they have no issues. My flock seems kinda a tight clan- even her. But tonight I put them in the coop (the door had been closed so they were waiting) and she was the very last to go in and then just stood on the ground looking for a place to roost (granted it is tight in there- need to get the bigger space done). But I felt bad for her and I am seeing more and more how she is an outsider.

I had another EEer pullet that died at 8 weeks. I am not sure if that was her partner or not. Maybe she will take to one of the little chicks when they get to roam together. But does anyone else have an issue with one outsider chick?

2. christineavatar

christineavatar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Bolinas, CA
    If she looks and behaves healthily then I would just put it off to her nature. She might be just a bit different from the others.

3. abejita

abejita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    I have one like that too. I bought pairs of five different breeds. They are all around the same age, except for the australorps, which are about 5 wks younger than everyone else. One of the australorps had an impacted crop and died about two weeks after I got her. Now her sister is the loner. Everybody pairs off when they roam the yard, and she is by herself, doing her own thing. Funny thing is, when it is time to roost, she squeezes herself between the two most dominant hens. I kind of think that she may take over one of these days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by