She is gone

i am so terribly sorry to hear of your loss. i’m on this site right now looking for any kind of relief after losing my sweet baby today. the fact that you feel so much speaks to your heart. i wish more people understood the pain associated with animals that aren’t typical house pets. it’s still real. most of my heartbreaks have been hens. sending you hugs.

I lost my favorite and most trusted chicken yesterday morning. I am so heartbroken...she was the leader of the pack, all the other chickens learned from her and trusted her like she trusted me. Always running to me when I called her and following me around. They were out too early yesterday morning because I didn't close the exit of their run the night before and they came out of their solar door from the coop at the crack of dawn to free-range outside of their run. I usually close the run so they don't get out too early, but I've also allowed this to happen many times in the past with no issues. Huge mistake.

I was taking my morning bathroom break and heard a commotion around 8AM. I quickly looked through the window and saw feathers and a coyote running off. I ran outside and the coyote was nowhere to be seen. All that remained were the last feathers I'd ever see of my girl. My sweetest chicken is gone, I never thought I could feel so sad for a chicken but every time I think of my girls she is always the first to appear in my mind. She meant so much to me and I am crushed. When I fed them today her best friend wouldn't even come off the roost, mouth open and in a daze. She won't even eat her favorite snacks out of my hand. They are so quiet when I visit and I miss the specific song my favorite bird would make every time I visited.

I had to share here just because I think at least someone would understand. I'm a grown ass man...treasure your birdies. I'm so sad and so are they. The worst feeling is that she trusted me, and because she trusted me she is now gone, it hurts so much. She is the bird in my avatar, I love you Golden. 🤧😪 We have 8 young chickies to introduce soon, so I will have to raise them in her honor and give them all her love. Thanks for reading.
I grew up around chickens ,my dad kept them 40 yrs. I finally got me some more chicks this spring (first time in over 20 years.) Celebrating my retirement and raising chickens again by making coops and runs since March (trying to make them all predator proof too but I'm not finished with that yet. ) I wish I could free range my chickens but I know the dangers too well after growing up around dads chickens.My dad quit keeping chickens after a hawk got his favorite hen(while it was standing right in front of him )Dad didn't have the heart to lock his chickens up even after he lost his favorite because they were used to being free. He sold his chickens after that rather than force them to stay in a run. He just didn't have it in him to lose anymore to predators and he didn't want to start over with more chicks. So in memory of my dad I dedicated my new coop and run to my dad and vow to protect them best as I can. I will never turn mine lose to face the predators I know that will kill them.I am sorry you lost your favorite hen and I feel your pain.I was standing right beside my dad when the hawk got his hen.I watched tears rolling down his cheeks as he watched it disappear in the sky.

So sorry for your loss. I can feel your pain. I had a very special bird. I let her out and then got distracted. I didn't think much of it because nothing had ever happened. She was dust bathing in the garden when I last saw her. I called her and she didn't come which was very unusual. She would always come when called. I got concerned and went looking for her. I did find feathers but never found her. I saw a fox on my game camera. I cried like a baby. I was so mad at myself (still am) that I didn't put her back in her pen while I was distracted. I have never had a bird like her and probably won't ever again. From that point on the birds haven't been let out of their nice large pens. The fox then started appearing on my cameras. I'm sure it was the same fox that killed Gladys. I caught it and put it out of my misery. I do see fox on my cameras but mostly at night. As long as they don't mess with my birds I don't mess with them. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. Good luck...
Gladys, she was 3 years old when the fox got her. She loved to be held and liked to ride on the tractor with me. She would sit on my lap like she was driving. I miss her so.
View attachment 2692501
I'm so sorry .

I lost my favorite and most trusted chicken yesterday morning. I am so heartbroken...she was the leader of the pack, all the other chickens learned from her and trusted her like she trusted me. Always running to me when I called her and following me around. They were out too early yesterday morning because I didn't close the exit of their run the night before and they came out of their solar door from the coop at the crack of dawn to free-range outside of their run. I usually close the run so they don't get out too early, but I've also allowed this to happen many times in the past with no issues. Huge mistake.

I was taking my morning bathroom break and heard a commotion around 8AM. I quickly looked through the window and saw feathers and a coyote running off. I ran outside and the coyote was nowhere to be seen. All that remained were the last feathers I'd ever see of my girl. My sweetest chicken is gone, I never thought I could feel so sad for a chicken but every time I think of my girls she is always the first to appear in my mind. She meant so much to me and I am crushed. When I fed them today her best friend wouldn't even come off the roost, mouth open and in a daze. She won't even eat her favorite snacks out of my hand. They are so quiet when I visit and I miss the specific song my favorite bird would make every time I visited.

I had to share here just because I think at least someone would understand. I'm a grown ass man...treasure your birdies. I'm so sad and so are they. The worst feeling is that she trusted me, and because she trusted me she is now gone, it hurts so much. She is the bird in my avatar, I love you Golden. 🤧😪 We have 8 young chickies to introduce soon, so I will have to raise them in her honor and give them all her love. Thanks for reading.
I am enduring the same pain as you were. I lost my favorite hen two days ago. She was the cleverest and the leader of the pack. Always happily running up to me when called. I missed her so much! I felt so bad when I don't see her in the pack. She is gone but my heart is still broken.

I am enduring the same pain as you were. I lost my favorite hen two days ago. She was the cleverest and the leader of the pack. Always happily running up to me when called. I missed her so much! I felt so bad when I don't see her in the pack. She is gone but my heart is still broken.
Hang in there only time can heal...and maybe some new baby chickies will help <3

Back
Top Bottom