She just keeps sitting...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EE lover:), Jun 13, 2011.

1. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'm not even sure I put this in the right place. Okay, we have a Black Jersey Giant hen named Black Betty who normally won't let any of us near her. My mom today asked me to reach under her and grab the eggs. Apparently Betty has been sitting on the eggs and not moving. So I went in and she just sat there while I stroked her back. She didn't even move her head to look at me. She didn't even move to look at us when my mom went in and picked her up while I grabbed the eggs. She appears to be letting the other girls come in and lay their eggs, but never when we see her. Anybody know why she's doing this? I have a suspicion that she's broody, but I'd like to make sure.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    sounds like it.... what happens when you take her out of the nest and sit her on the roost or the floor?

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    sounds like how my broody started.

if you can gently lift her out, see what she does. if she wants to go back into the nest box, get a drink and a bit of food, then go back into the nest box you just might have a broody to deal with. have fun!

4. EE lover:)

EE lover:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    North Carolina
    We picked her up and moved her, and took the eggs, and now she's out in the run, eating and drinking and whatnot. Update: She's back in the box. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  5. curlique12

curlique12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    lala land
    Sounds broody to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by