She just keeps trying.....

savingpurple

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
NW Ohio
But cannot lay an egg. She is 18 weeks, and everyday like clockwork, wanders in and sits in a nest box, usually for 30 mins, up to 45 mins. It is hotter than hades in there, but she goes just like a hen trooper that she is, but never an egg.

Can there be a problem? I have noticed that she must have had the watery poo when it was so blazing hot here,and was drinking mostly water, and it ran down on her back side. Could she have a so called adult "pasty butt"? Would this affect anything?

Just curious, if I should be concerened. It has been almost 2 weeks of this behaviour.

Thanks
smile.png

My young hens are all over the place with goofy squating, setting, and playing 'dead' in the coop shade. (all spread out). With the panting and water consumption, they have squirty poo in the high stress heat conditions. When its time to eat, they are as voracious as ever, so just keep an eye out for real signs of distress.

I am not sure if there is a problem, but in my case, maybe 6-7 of 10 birds are laying. The others do a copycat imitation of the layers. Might be a bit of both.... It almost seems like its broody before it's even laying (in my case. Maybe even yours?)

I had one go broody 2 weeks into laying. Wasn't sure what exactly broody was.....Until then! Pretty funny how animal instinks just kick in....
hu.gif

Or you made too nice of a nesting box and it's just too comfy to leave
thumbsup.gif

Especially during the hot weather, I have had some of my girls go into the nest boxes and not lay an egg. I think it's just instinct.

Back
Top Bottom