She keeps on laying

Austin81

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Norfolk County, Ontario Canada
Hey Ya’ll. So my female ringneck will not stop laying. She has been laying pretty much everyday since the begging of June She has laid well over 100 eggs. I am starting to get a little concerned because I know they don’t typically lay that much. Can anyone give me any advise.
@007Sean

Hey Ya’ll. So my female ringneck will not stop laying. She has been laying pretty much everyday since the begging of June She has laid well over 100 eggs. I am starting to get a little concerned because I know they don’t typically lay that much. Can anyone give me any advise.
@007Sean
I still have some of my birds laying too! They aren't fertile though as they have been molting and about to finish up their molt, and yes, they laid during their molt.

I haven't tried to stop their egg laying, I really wouldn't know how to stop them from laying, besides putting them in a completely dark area? maybe?
I've had some melanistic hens lay everyday for a year. They didn't lay the next year or any time after that...I guess they ran out of their allotted number of ovums.
I have noticed in the past few years it's becoming more frequently a norm than a rarity. I really don't know what's causing the change in their reproductive systems but something is occurring to change their natural reproductive behavior, (weather, feed, or ?) I just don't know.
I really don't worry too much about it, when they quit laying they go to freezer camp. At the moment, I have 5 melanistic hens that have not layed an egg this year at all. Last year they laid the whole year, non-stop! They are all in different pens, so I don't think it's a 'female hormonal' thing happening.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer!

I still have some of my birds laying too! They aren't fertile though as they have been molting and about to finish up their molt, and yes, they laid during their molt.

I haven't tried to stop their egg laying, I really wouldn't know how to stop them from laying, besides putting them in a completely dark area? maybe?
I've had some melanistic hens lay everyday for a year. They didn't lay the next year or any time after that...I guess they ran out of their allotted number of ovums.
I have noticed in the past few years it's becoming more frequently a norm than a rarity. I really don't know what's causing the change in their reproductive systems but something is occurring to change their natural reproductive behavior, (weather, feed, or ?) I just don't know.
I really don't worry too much about it, when they quit laying they go to freezer camp. At the moment, I have 5 melanistic hens that have not layed an egg this year at all. Last year they laid the whole year, non-stop! They are all in different pens, so I don't think it's a 'female hormonal' thing happening.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer!
Hey at least it gives me some idea of things. I’m still new to pheasant raising. I just didn’t want her to end up dying because she has used all her energy laying eggs. I’ve lost a few young button quails due to that. Did t know if the same thing would happen. It’s good to talk to someone that has experience in the pheasant life :)

@007Sean another question for you. Lol. Do you do anything for your males about the spurs ? I just noticed my males are fairly big already and he’s only 6 months old and there sharp.
Nope, I don't handle my birds much at all after they are mature.
Ring necked pheasant spurs don't usually get longer than a 1/2" but they are sharp.
Elliot and Reeves get long spurs, 2 to 2 1/4" but I don't bother with them either.

Last edited:
Nope, I don't handle my birds much at all after they are mature.
Ring necked pheasant spurs don't usually get longer than a 1/2" but they are sharp.
Elliot and Reeves get long spurs, 2 to 2 1/4" but I don't bother with them either.
That’s good to know. They might be as big as there gunna get now I’d say there pretty close to 1/2 inch. That’s insaine that there’s gets so big. Is there anything you can do like filing them? I read that you can actually cut back chicken Spurs but I was thinking more like just “sanding” the sharp point down so that it’s nice and rounded. Is that something you can do or are pheasant Spurs different then chicken ?

Back
Top Bottom