She laid an "oopsie"...does this mean she has started laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the lemon tree, Sep 28, 2009.

1. the lemon tree

the lemon tree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    In the coop this morning I found what appeared to be a light brown soft shell with no innards. Can this be considered her first attempt at laying or is it one of those random occurrences like the so-called fart egg?

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Yes, sometimes they have a few false starts with partially formed eggs.

3. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't stop laughing at fart egg! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is there really a thing?

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Hi chickychicky,
    I think there are lots of variations on wierdo eggs you can get from pullets. I recently got several days in a row of some real doozies and grossness from my BR. I swore they weren't hers b/c they were soooo strange and uncharacteristic of her. I thought she had just stopped laying for a bit and someone else in the flock was doing it. But no, they were hers alright. And now, suddenly, she's gone back to laying normal eggs - like nothing had ever happened! [​IMG]

Everyone keeps saying that they're getting their "plumbing" figured out. Now, I'm a believer.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Was it broken open; meaning they could have eaten the egg inside of it? Maybe you need to increase their calcium; easily done with oyster shells. In the beginning I added some of the oyster shell "flour," to the feed, and this helped quickly.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by