She laid an "oopsie"...does this mean she has started laying?

the lemon tree

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
In the coop this morning I found what appeared to be a light brown soft shell with no innards. Can this be considered her first attempt at laying or is it one of those random occurrences like the so-called fart egg?

lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
I can't stop laughing at fart egg!
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Is there really a thing?

Hi chickychicky,
I think there are lots of variations on wierdo eggs you can get from pullets. I recently got several days in a row of some real doozies and grossness from my BR. I swore they weren't hers b/c they were soooo strange and uncharacteristic of her. I thought she had just stopped laying for a bit and someone else in the flock was doing it. But no, they were hers alright. And now, suddenly, she's gone back to laying normal eggs - like nothing had ever happened!
idunno.gif

Everyone keeps saying that they're getting their "plumbing" figured out. Now, I'm a believer.

Was it broken open; meaning they could have eaten the egg inside of it? Maybe you need to increase their calcium; easily done with oyster shells. In the beginning I added some of the oyster shell "flour," to the feed, and this helped quickly.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom