She or He

How old?

I'm surprised he isn't crowing yet. Must be close!

The giveaway signs are those long pointy neck feathers that have begun growing, the longer ones starting to grow at the sides just before the tail and of course those lovely new tail feathers starting to grow in. Topped off of course by that distinctive comb and his impressive wattles.

It's definitely a gorgeous boy, if you have any more chickens that you are unsure on the gender of, why not look at or post a few pics on the big fat is this a rooster? Thread :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/944086/the-big-fat-is-this-a-rooster-thread

Thank you all for your wonderful replies! Even tho this is not the news I was hoping for but alas is as I had suspected! Next question is...one of the birds HE is really attached to a hen of course the rest he doesn't care much about. My breeder of course apologized and assured me he would either replace the bird or give me a new hen if i wanted to keep the rooster. My question is if I give the rooster back to the breeder how will its close friend the other hen act??? PS This morning he tried to crow however its is not loud yet and very hoarse.

Thank you all for your wonderful replies! Even tho this is not the news I was hoping for but alas is as I had suspected! Next question is...one of the birds HE is really attached to a hen of course the rest he doesn't care much about. My breeder of course apologized and assured me he would either replace the bird or give me a new hen if i wanted to keep the rooster. My question is if I give the rooster back to the breeder how will its close friend the other hen act??? PS This morning he tried to crow however its is not loud yet and very hoarse.

I would strongly recommend replacing your rooster with another hen. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As he matures, he will become very hard physically on your hen; over-breeding her, biting and plucking the feathers from her neck and back, battering her, and potentially, seriously injuring her.

Back
Top Bottom