She prefers goats over her own kind...

Onlysony

Chirping
Jun 16, 2019
We had a sudden cold snap - dropped to -8 with snow and wind. Most of the day our chickens and rooster free range outside and go into the goat house for naps. Today, with the terrible weather the other chickens and rooster stayed in the chicken coop and didnt venture too far from that. Except one chicken...she went into the goat house and refused to go into the coop when it got dark - so she's sleeping with the goats tonight. She is one of 2 chickens that isn't allowed on the top roost. When I checked on the other chickens, tonight, they were all tucked in and the loner chicken was sleeping in a nesting box without her friend there to snuggle with. Should I make her go into the coop or is she fine where she is?
The chickens and goats have a lovely relationship. My momma goat likes to put her nose close to the chickens' backs and it looks like she is gently smelling them...but it puts her to sleep.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If she is protected from predators that aren't afraid of the goats, let her stay with them for now. As she gains confidence and maturity she will likely integrate with the flock. But if she doesn't and is safe, why not let her stay?

I would put her back in the Coop. I have a little Bantam hen that sleeps in my nest box and a couple that sleep on the floor. I don't care where my Birds sleep inside the Coop as long as they get enough sleep each night..
Birds don't sleep all night. Not at all. I have a coop camera in the coop and have watched them at any and all hours of the night (insomniac) and they just nap here and there like they do during the day. They preen a lot and look to just bide their time until morning.

Birds don't sleep all night. Not at all. I have a coop camera in the coop and have watched them at any and all hours of the night (insomniac) and they just nap here and there like they do during the day. They preen a lot and look to just bide their time until morning.
I never said they sleep all night..:idunno..I said I don't care where they sleep as long as they get enough sleep..

Back
Top Bottom