She Really Needs friends... Advice here?

Mar 6, 2019
UK
Hey, I have a chicken.. she is an only bird and criticize and judge me I don’t care, lol prob deserve it.
I got myself a chicken and I did not know too much about animals, but now I’m doing a degree in animal aid and care.
Anyway I’ve got a only chicken how shall I introduce 2-3 more chickens to her..

What sort of accommodations do you have? Can it easily be scaled up for +2-3? Make sure you have appropriate space beforehand otherwise there will be blood.

I've heard different breeds not raised together can be a bit racist, so either aim for similar breed and coloring as your girl or buy hens from different flocks so they're all starting on even ground with no preestablished pecking order. They'll each need their own space separated for a while before being allowed to intermingle gradually. Depending on their temperament, you can go from there. Squabbles will be inevitable and they may draw a little blood, but they should be over pretty quickly for a normal altercation.

Easy mode though - If your hen goes broody, you can let her hatch her own flock from fertile eggs. If you can't keep males, check with the breeder you go through - I find most here are pretty happy to take back their own boys.

Would you be able to tell us her breed as I have to agree some can be hard on others but better keep them apart for 30 days but so they can see each other

What sort of accommodations do you have? Can it easily be scaled up for +2-3? Make sure you have appropriate space beforehand otherwise there will be blood.

^ this. Make sure you actually have the accommodations for more before adding on, and keep in mind integration takes more than just a minimum amount of space.

If you do have the room, it's up to you if you want to try chicks, or older birds. There's pros and cons to each - chicks are cheaper outright but would need a little extra care, but there's also less risk of chicks carrying in disease with them.

Is she a laying age chicken? Then I would get a similar age (if known) or laying female or two to go with her. It is good that you recognize she needs s chicken friend or two.

In the US, we can order pullets at point of lay (POL) to be shipped via the postal service from a hatchery. You will for sure get females and they will be more of a companion for your girl. You could go to a poultry show and get one or two yourself. If I were to order a POL bird from a large hatchery I’d be less worried about disease. If I picked some up at an auction or show, then I’d be very inclined to quarantine the new ones for a bit before introduction.

Thanks guys!
I know all about the pecking order now before I did not, but as someone who loves animal I can’t stand to see one peck at one as it just stands there, helpless
Well, she is a barred rock
She is a year and 2 months of age
She has been laying for a year
And she is very very friendly,
I rlly can’t take care of chicks Iv done it so many times before and it’s too stressful, I’m only kid

Last edited:
Is she a laying age chicken? Then I would get a similar age (if known) or laying female or two to go with her. It is good that you recognize she needs s chicken friend or two.

In the US, we can order pullets at point of lay (POL) to be shipped via the postal service from a hatchery. You will for sure get females and they will be more of a companion for your girl. You could go to a poultry show and get one or two yourself. If I were to order a POL bird from a large hatchery I’d be less worried about disease. If I picked some up at an auction or show, then I’d be very inclined to quarantine the new ones for a bit before introduction.

We have a chicken farmer half an hour away from us and we pick up all our animals there cuz he takes care of them and work s and mites for free,

I've heard different breeds not raised together can be a bit racist, so either aim for similar breed and coloring as your girl or buy hens from different flocks so they're all starting on even ground with no preestablished pecking order. They'll each need their own space separated for a while before being allowed to intermingle gradually. Depending on their temperament, you can go from there. Squabbles will be inevitable and they may draw a little blood, but they should be over pretty quickly for a normal altercation.

Easy mode though - If your hen goes broody, you can let her hatch her own flock from fertile eggs. If you can't keep males, check with the breeder you go through - I find most here are pretty happy to take back their own boys.
We don’t have laws about chickens here, I live in small town with fields and chickens, cow and goats, alpaca all around me

Back
Top Bottom