She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Smell dissipates after a while, but guilt hangs around a lot longer...
Great score! I'd get as many as you can (afford/fits in bator/etc) of both groups if you intend to be serious about keeping/breeding them... gives you more to choose from when deciding which to keep... their looks will be all over the map, lol...
No kidding! ;)
The other woman wants $60/dozen and since I'm already buying Nankins and a dozen other eggs I don't think I'll be able to convince my husband to pay $60 for another dozen eggs but I figure 6 for $30 I can talk him into, lol. That and in my bator I try to keep all eggs away from the outside edges as the temp seems significantly lower there. I really do want a whole dozen though :/

frow.gif

Great pic of the difference between the girls and the boys! Just adorable.

What were the incubator settings you used this time compared with the settings you used in the previous hatch?

Sorry I dipped out, there was a snake in the big outdoor brooder. It was a itty bitty thing. Caught it. :D

Last hatch was the first hatch. If I remember correctly, we ran pretty dry(like 20-35%) for the first 1/3 of the hatch due to a faulty gauge. Then about 45% until hatch, then 75-85. Our temps were a little high--100-101 with a spike of 102. We even candled during the 11-14th day stretch and we only lost one out of 14. Number 13 was an assist, but only because it had splayed legs and couldn't kick out, and our IncuTherm went on the fritz.

It's like having a present that you can't unwrap, you have to wait for it to unwrap it self with no help from you
hmm.png
Perfect comparison!

Actually, you're both correct... there was a bunch of research done about shrinkwrapping and what is actual shrinkwrap and what is not... I looked up a lot of info on it and that's one of the reasons I incubate the way I do...
In true shrinkwrap the membrane is pulled entirely away from the shell very far down past where you mark the aircell lines... it will literally be encased in the membrane separately inside the shell...
After death, the membrane naturally dries out as there is no longer circulation of any liquid inside anymore or body heat, thus causing it to be mistaken for shrinkwrapped...
Due to a mess up of myself earlier, I could've shown you a good example of shrinkwrapping if I'd thought to take a pic...
hmm.png
Hmmm. . . Then I guess mine weren't shrinkwrapped. There was definitely liquid. I wonder why they gave up.

Good news about the Icelandic eggs, I found another woman near to where I'm getting the others from that assures me hers are not related to the 1's I'm getting so I may go ahead and get another half dozen or so from her.
woot.gif
I'm with ravyn, get a dozen if you can!

The other woman wants $60/dozen and since I'm already buying Nankins and a dozen other eggs I don't think I'll be able to convince my husband to pay $60 for another dozen eggs but I figure 6 for $30 I can talk him into, lol. That and in my bator I try to keep all eggs away from the outside edges as the temp seems significantly lower there. I really do want a whole dozen though :/

That's why I said afford/fits in bator/etc... it's just easier when they grow up together, no later integration needed... just a tip... do what you can and see if you can keep her info for later time, if nothing else...

As far as the other less rare breeds go, what are y'alls opinions on inbreeding? All this thinking about finding different bloodlines got me thinking, what are the adverse affects of inbreeding. From what I've read it seems that inbreeding, or "linebreeding" as they call, it is a neccessity to keep and/or eliminate certain traits. What do you guys think on the matter?

The other woman wants $60/dozen and since I'm already buying Nankins and a dozen other eggs I don't think I'll be able to convince my husband to pay $60 for another dozen eggs but I figure 6 for $30 I can talk him into, lol. That and in my bator I try to keep all eggs away from the outside edges as the temp seems significantly lower there. I really do want a whole dozen though
hmm.png

What are you hatching in again? Sorry, memory is non-existent when my days are crazy like this. Those days when you go from sun up to sun down and when you finally turn in you lay awake thinking about all the things you didn't get done that really needed to get done and can't sleep because of it. lol

So you hop on BYC for a little party. . .

Last edited:
As this is my 5000th post, I gotta dedicate it...

So I dedicate this post to...

SC!!!

Everyone, meet SC the BCM...

He earned the name since every time I looked in the bator he was sitting in the corner screaming his head off... :D ;)

Last edited:
What are you hatching in again? Sorry, memory is non-existent when my days are crazy like this.  Those days when you go from sun up to sun down and when you finally turn in you lay awake thinking about all the things you didn't get done that really needed to get done and can't sleep because of it. lol

[SUB]So you hop on BYC for a little party. . .[/SUB]
That's ok, I'd forget my own name if it wasn't also my BYC name, lol. The batch that were due to hatch today but decided they weren't ready yet are Welsummers. The 1's I'm getting next weekend are Icelandic chickens.

Sorry I dipped out, there was a snake in the big outdoor brooder.  It was a itty bitty thing.  Caught it. :D

Last hatch was the first hatch.  If I remember correctly, we ran pretty dry(like 20-35%) for the first 1/3 of the hatch due to a faulty gauge.   Then about 45% until hatch, then 75-85.  Our temps were a little high--100-101 with a spike of 102.  We even candled during the 11-14th day stretch and we only lost one out of 14.  Number 13 was an assist, but only because it had splayed legs and couldn't kick out, and our IncuTherm went on the fritz.

Perfect comparison! 

Hmmm. .  . Then I guess mine weren't shrinkwrapped.  There was definitely liquid.  I wonder why they gave up.

:woot I'm with ravyn, get a dozen if you can!

Excess liquid in with the chick??

As far as the other less rare breeds go, what are y'alls opinions on inbreeding? All this thinking about finding different bloodlines got me thinking, what are the adverse affects of inbreeding. From what I've read it seems that inbreeding, or "linebreeding" as they call, it is a neccessity to keep and/or eliminate certain traits. What do you guys think on the matter?

Inbreeding is entirely different from linebreeding... inbreeding is constantly breeding brother to sister, breeding from same hatches of same flock... linebreeding is, for example, breeding the daughters back to the father, then the next group of daughters back to same roo...

Back
Top Bottom