She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

As this is my 5000th post, I gotta dedicate it...

So I dedicate this post to...

SC!!!

Everyone, meet SC the BCM...

He earned the name since every time I looked in the bator he was sitting in the corner screaming his head off...
big_smile.png
wink.png
bun.gif
That's awesome! He is ADORABLE!

That's ok, I'd forget my own name if it wasn't also my BYC name, lol. The batch that were due to hatch today but decided they weren't ready yet are Welsummers. The 1's I'm getting next weekend are Icelandic chickens.
Welsummer eggs have so much . . . melanin(?)--please correct my stupidity if that's wrong. Maybe that's why they're so slow. You'll love them when they do hatch. Welsummers are so pretty! Roos are a bit noisy for my personal tastes, but the hens are gorgeous and ours were very sweet.
What kind of bator is it?

Excess liquid in with the chick??
Inbreeding is entirely different from linebreeding... inbreeding is constantly breeding brother to sister, breeding from same hatches of same flock... linebreeding is, for example, breeding the daughters back to the father, then the next group of daughters back to same roo...
Yea, that's what I read, actual inbreeding is brother/sister and linebreeding is father/daughter mother/son. So, like for example, when my Welsummers start laying, could I, in theory, breed the original roo to his daughters with no adverse affects? Or when my Icelandics start laying, could I breed the roo's daughters to him? I would assume yes since it would cost a fortune and be virtually impossible to continue to find other lineage to introduce into the flock.

Excess liquid in with the chick??
Inbreeding is entirely different from linebreeding... inbreeding is constantly breeding brother to sister, breeding from same hatches of same flock... linebreeding is, for example, breeding the daughters back to the father, then the next group of daughters back to same roo...
Yep, at least with one of them.

:bun That's awesome!  He is ADORABLE!

Welsummer eggs have so much . . . melanin(?)--please correct my stupidity if that's wrong.  Maybe that's why they're so slow.  You'll love them when they do hatch.  Welsummers are so pretty!  Roos are a bit noisy for my personal tastes, but the hens are gorgeous and ours were very sweet.
What kind of bator is it?
It's an LG 9200. I think it's a 9200? It's a still air but this week I'm ordering a fan kit for it so it'll be forced air for the next batch. Yes, I love the Welsummers, I have 4 pullets and a cockrel that I got from a BYCER about 3 weeks ago. I love them. They are about 2 to 2 and a half months old and the pullets are HUGE. The little roo is the cutest little thing though. Hid name is Rocky the Roo, lol. When I bring them dandelion greens he comes running to the wire, always the first one there and the last to leave, lol. I love watching him run, it's adorable!

Yea, that's what I read, actual inbreeding is brother/sister and linebreeding is father/daughter mother/son. So, like for example, when my Welsummers start laying, could I, in theory, breed the original roo to his daughters with no adverse affects? Or when my Icelandics start laying, could I breed the roo's daughters to him? I would assume yes since it would cost a fortune and be virtually impossible to continue to find other lineage to introduce into the flock.

Yes, in theory... if the parent stock is genetically diverse enough, you can breed them together for first generation and then either breed the pullets back to original roo, or pick a new roo and breed him back to the hens... don't make your decision until you see what genders come out better... always go with the best type/etc and go from there...

That's a lot of clucking
1f60a.png

No kidding!! The little brat wouldn't stay with his hatchmates... kept running to the back of the tray to stick his head in the corner and cry... :lau

Yep, at least with one of them. 

That's drowning in shell... not enough moisture loss in egg... needs lower humidity... I found the larger lf breeds and/or darker eggs need lower to dry humidity, and smaller breeds need a bit more humidity than those...

It's an LG 9200. I think it's a 9200? It's a still air but this week I'm ordering a fan kit for it so it'll be forced air for the next batch. Yes, I love the Welsummers, I have 4 pullets and a cockrel that I got from a BYCER about 3 weeks ago. I love them. They are about 2 to 2 and a half months old and the pullets are HUGE. The little roo is the cutest little thing though. Hid name is Rocky the Roo, lol. When I bring them dandelion greens he comes running to the wire, always the first one there and the last to leave, lol. I love watching him run, it's adorable!
lol.png
That's cool. We had a 9200 and couldn't get it to hold a steady temp to save our lives. We bought an incukit mini for 50 bucks and installed it. It's working like a charm now. The incukit comes with a fan and everything. It saved our fluffy butts.

That's drowning in shell... not enough moisture loss in egg... needs lower humidity... I found the larger lf breeds and/or darker eggs need lower to dry humidity, and smaller breeds need a bit more humidity than those...

So the humidity was too high. I guess we'll be dry incubating next go round.

:lol: That's cool.   We had a 9200 and couldn't get it to hold a steady temp to save our lives.  We bought an incukit mini for 50 bucks and installed it.  It's working like a charm now. The incukit comes with a fan and everything.  It saved our fluffy butts.

So the humidity was too high.  I guess we'll be dry incubating next go round.

I believe your ambient humidity is similar to ours? Then I'd say yes, you probably should, lol... just don't incubate bantams at same time with them... I found my hatch rate for bantams mixed with lf during dry incubating is very low to nil... bantams need just a little water in the bator to keep them at steady moisture loss without overdoing it...

Back
Top Bottom