She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

As far as the other less rare breeds go, what are y'alls opinions on inbreeding? All this thinking about finding different bloodlines got me thinking, what are the adverse affects of inbreeding. From what I've read it seems that inbreeding, or "linebreeding" as they call, it is a neccessity to keep and/or eliminate certain traits. What do you guys think on the matter?
Inbreeding has the same effect regardless of the species: It allows the breeder to double up on the genes controlling desirable traits. Unfortunately, it does the same for undesirable traits.

Sheesh, guys, I'm gone for nearly 3 days, and I'm only behind 700-some posts (granted, nearly 800 by the time I caught up)? Did someone steal your internet? ;)

Took my older daughter with me to the women's retreat with our old church Thursday--thought I'd share a pic :)

:frow AmyP and older daughter! Sweet pic :frow

goodmorn.gif

Gonna have to to try to play "ketchup" fast this morning, new floor is in, now we are doing a wainscoting with skids..... #hatethingsunfinished

This is what happens when I work all day . somebody leaves the lid off the can and the nuts get out. and right now SC is glued to the big screen watching USC play . so he's worthless. quiet SC I can hear you over the mountains .never mind that was just the TV
tumblr_lix6ictkQT1qcga5ro1_500.jpg

WHO you callin a nut?

How flippin cute! The little chipmunk stripes are just adorable.

Personally, I dont think what we have seen as shrink wrapped is really the cause of death. I think its the result, instead. I believe once they die, the membrane stops being pliable, and constricts around the dead chick. Not the reverse. But that's just my theory.
Congrats on the bunch of new babies!!
agree

Actually, you're both correct... there was a bunch of research done about shrinkwrapping and what is actual shrinkwrap and what is not... I looked up a lot of info on it and that's one of the reasons I incubate the way I do...
In true shrinkwrap the membrane is pulled entirely away from the shell very far down past where you mark the aircell lines... it will literally be encased in the membrane separately inside the shell...
After death, the membrane naturally dries out as there is no longer circulation of any liquid inside anymore or body heat, thus causing it to be mistaken for shrinkwrapped...
Due to a mess up of myself earlier, I could've shown you a good example of shrinkwrapping if I'd thought to take a pic...
hmm.png
Agree!

Good news about the Icelandic eggs, I found another woman near to where I'm getting the others from that assures me hers are not related to the 1's I'm getting so I may go ahead and get another half dozen or so from her.
I agree with Ravyn get as many as you can incubated so you can pull the best for breeding

As this is my 5000th post, I gotta dedicate it...

So I dedicate this post to...

SC!!!

Everyone, meet SC the BCM...

He earned the name since every time I looked in the bator he was sitting in the corner screaming his head off...
big_smile.png
wink.png
HA HA HA good one! look at the chick cuddlin you!

Sheesh, guys, I'm gone for nearly 3 days, and I'm only behind 700-some posts (granted, nearly 800 by the time I caught up)? Did someone steal your internet?
wink.png

Took my older daughter with me to the women's retreat with our old church Thursday--thought I'd share a pic
smile.png

WOW she does look like you! Did you both have a great time?

Oh! So talking to us is a waste of time now!
Well, I never......
lau.gif

lol.png
That's cool. We had a 9200 and couldn't get it to hold a steady temp to save our lives. We bought an incukit mini for 50 bucks and installed it. It's working like a charm now. The incukit comes with a fan and everything. It saved our fluffy butts.

So the humidity was too high. I guess we'll be dry incubating next go round.

You all know I am going to chime in here, every season at every home, every bator, is a bit different, some with fast fans some slow fans, some bators hold humidity some dont, I personally hate saying dry incubation because people think that's exactly what it means. Example here, if I use a styro I need to adjust humidity differently than my cooler bators, and then differently in the cabinet cooler bator. And some people with big wooden cabinets with big fans fight to keep humidity in them.

Humidity is NEVER a set number be it HIGH or LOW, humidity is ONLY a tool to get the best possible weight loss in the eggs for the eggs to be viable at hatch. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can tell you what that egg needs, it varies with what breed egg, what size egg, how old, ect...... NO ONE except you, be it by watching air cells or weighing your eggs, HOWEVER even weighing eggs you have to be careful, because shipped eggs have already lost tons of weight, and eggs sitting for a week or two already lost weight.

The more you incubate the better we become at eyeing up our air cells. The worst cases I have seen with incubating is too LOW temps and too much humidity, but that doesnt mean no humidity, your getting it from the humidity in your home or your adding water. Its up to each hatcher to figure out what their eggs need humidity wise.

Example, if you watch some of the vids from commercial hatcheries they run a much much higher humidity than we would, why? they have huge fans running in those rooms which dry out the eggs at a faster rate without added humidity and most times they set fresher eggs than we do.

Last edited:
You all know I am going to chime in here, every season at every home, every bator, is a bit different, some with fast fans some slow fans, some bators hold humidity some dont, I personally hate saying dry incubation because people think that's exactly what it means.  Example here, if I use a styro I need to adjust humidity differently than my cooler bators, and then differently in the cabinet cooler bator.  And some people with big wooden cabinets with big fans fight to keep humidity in them.  

[COLOR=FF0000]Humidity is NEVER a set number be it HIGH or LOW,[/COLOR] humidity is ONLY a tool to get the best possible weight loss in the eggs for the eggs to be viable at hatch. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can tell you what that egg needs, it varies with what breed egg, what size egg, how old, ect...... NO ONE except you, be it by watching air cells or weighing your eggs, HOWEVER even weighing eggs you have to be careful, because shipped eggs have already lost tons of weight, and eggs sitting for a week or two already lost weight.  

The more you incubate the better we become at eyeing up our air cells.  The worst cases I have seen with incubating is too LOW temps and too much humidity, but that doesnt mean no humidity, your getting it from the humidity in your home or your adding water.  Its up to each hatcher to figure out what their eggs need humidity wise. 

Example, if you watch some of the vids from commercial hatcheries they run a much much higher humidity than we would, why? they have huge fans running in those rooms which dry out the eggs at a faster rate without added humidity and most times they set fresher eggs than we do. 

No offense, but I don't think we ever try to steer someone without stressing that their own environments are a huge factor in humidity settings, along with egg age, etc. Everything you just said is exactly what we have said all along on this thread.

No offense, but I don't think we ever try to steer someone without stressing that their own environments are a huge factor in humidity settings, along with egg age, etc. Everything you just said is exactly what we have said all along on this thread.
I didnt take it as anyone telling anyone wrong at all. I try to get through to new hatchers that dont understand, I get more pm's asking me about humidity and reading that "well I set it at % like I should have" so this is a typical response from me, trying to get others that read to understand how to use humidity, thats all.

I didnt take it as anyone telling anyone wrong at all.  I try to get through to new hatchers that dont understand, I get more pm's asking me about humidity and reading that "well I set it at % like I should have"  so this is a typical response from me, trying to get others that read to understand how to use humidity, thats all.  

I understand, and thank you! I was just concurring that's what we have said all along here too. There are too many variables to give a set number.

:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom