She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

A stuffing with nuts, sausage, and dried tart fruit like cranberries, or cherries. Also either candied winter squash or yams done with butter, nuts, dried fruit, brown sugar, and coconut shavings, then some garlic mashed potatoes, and a Waldorf salad.

Not sure if it's what you posted, or the smell of the smoking turkey...but I will do all but the salad. I can almost taste it already!

Not sure if it's what you posted, or the smell of the smoking turkey...but I will do all but the salad.  I can almost taste it already!

Yup, that's our main Thanks Giving here every year! With a few other items as well. Your tummy will thank you.
1f609.png

Last edited:
Yes, in theory... if the parent stock is genetically diverse enough, you can breed them together for first generation and then either breed the pullets back to original roo, or pick a new roo and breed him back to the hens... don't make your decision until you see what genders come out better... always go with the best type/etc and go from there...
No kidding!! The little brat wouldn't stay with his hatchmates... kept running to the back of the tray to stick his head in the corner and cry...
lau.gif

That's drowning in shell... not enough moisture loss in egg... needs lower humidity... I found the larger lf breeds and/or darker eggs need lower to dry humidity, and smaller breeds need a bit more humidity than those...

lol.png
That's cool. We had a 9200 and couldn't get it to hold a steady temp to save our lives. We bought an incukit mini for 50 bucks and installed it. It's working like a charm now. The incukit comes with a fan and everything. It saved our fluffy butts.

So the humidity was too high. I guess we'll be dry incubating next go round.
Don't want to step on toes or enter a convo a day late with an opinion...but..... is it just one egg that had extra fluid or was it the majority of the batch that was affected? Because you want to make sure you are adjusting to the majority. If all but a couple eggs hatched with no signs of drowning/excess fluid, than you don't want to adjust because that points to the individual eggs and not the overall hatch. We can't possibly give every egg the optimal conditions because they individual eggs have to many variables themselves. IF the majority shows signs of high humidity then yes, I would agree. Sorry if I missed teh overall picture, but I just saw talk of one egg and I can't remember what everyone has going on...lol

So up here in the PNW, western side, should I try to get a hydrometer? What do I do if the ambient humidity is too high? Will the packets from vitamins or new shoes work?
You should have a hygrometer to get an idea of the humidity rates and monitor your cells to know how to adjust.

Always get hygrometers, extra 1 or 2 if possible... try running the bator dry and see how steady it stays first... humidity is high there, but not sure if our warmer humidity affects incubating more than cooler humidity...
I never incubated when I lived there, lol...
xs 2 on the dry.

Oh! So talking to us is a waste of time now!
Well, I never......
lau.gif

You all know I am going to chime in here, every season at every home, every bator, is a bit different, some with fast fans some slow fans, some bators hold humidity some dont, I personally hate saying dry incubation because people think that's exactly what it means. Example here, if I use a styro I need to adjust humidity differently than my cooler bators, and then differently in the cabinet cooler bator. And some people with big wooden cabinets with big fans fight to keep humidity in them.

Humidity is NEVER a set number be it HIGH or LOW, humidity is ONLY a tool to get the best possible weight loss in the eggs for the eggs to be viable at hatch. NO ONE and I mean NO ONE can tell you what that egg needs, it varies with what breed egg, what size egg, how old, ect...... NO ONE except you, be it by watching air cells or weighing your eggs, HOWEVER even weighing eggs you have to be careful, because shipped eggs have already lost tons of weight, and eggs sitting for a week or two already lost weight.

The more you incubate the better we become at eyeing up our air cells. The worst cases I have seen with incubating is too LOW temps and too much humidity, but that doesnt mean no humidity, your getting it from the humidity in your home or your adding water. Its up to each hatcher to figure out what their eggs need humidity wise.

Example, if you watch some of the vids from commercial hatcheries they run a much much higher humidity than we would, why? they have huge fans running in those rooms which dry out the eggs at a faster rate without added humidity and most times they set fresher eggs than we do.
I hate the use of "dry" as well! People take it too literally. That's why if you notice, I use the term "low humidity incubation method" and will explain that it is what is offen "mistakenly referred to as "dry". It is also why I wrote my blog post of humidity-understanding it so you can know how and when to adjust it.

No offense, but I don't think we ever try to steer someone without stressing that their own environments are a huge factor in humidity settings, along with egg age, etc. Everything you just said is exactly what we have said all along on this thread.
Yup

I didnt take it as anyone telling anyone wrong at all. I try to get through to new hatchers that dont understand, I get more pm's asking me about humidity and reading that "well I set it at % like I should have" so this is a typical response from me, trying to get others that read to understand how to use humidity, thats all.
That's me. When I first started getting PMs I was like "wow" ok...now, it's just a normal occurance and I don't mind a bit. I had an awful first hatch and I feel if I can help anyone to keep from having to go through that or continuously go through it, I need to.
What annoys me is when you ask someone (who is looking for help) what their temps and humidity were during incubation and you get "my temps and humidity were fine." I want to slap them and say, that's not what I am asking. You can answer and I can try to help or you're on your own...lol
I was always told as a kid "because I said so" every time I asked why and I hated that! I have said it once or twice but for the most part, I always try to give a explanation because that drove me nuts as a kid!
Yes, I had good luck with charcoal/carbon moisture control stuff that I found at the dollar store. I can't post a pic if you like.
True story: When one of my nieces was about 3ish I was doing her ABC's with her. I'd say A she'd say A and so on all the way through the alphabet.... I got to "y". I said "y" she said "because I told you so." I almost died. It was so funny and she was so darn cute!!

Ok, after reading about Meagan's obsessive hovering overnight, here's the blue hatch update. There was one yesterday morning. I worked in the yard all day. 3 at 6 PM, 4 at10 PM. Too many to count this morning, but two are wet and I have pips, so no one gets out
gig.gif

Yay!

Don't want to step on toes or enter a convo a day late with an opinion...but..... is it just one egg that had extra fluid or was it the majority of the batch that was affected?  Because you want to make sure you are adjusting to the majority. If all but a couple eggs hatched with no signs of drowning/excess fluid, than you don't want to adjust because that points to the individual eggs and not the overall hatch. We can't possibly give every egg the optimal conditions because they individual eggs have to many variables themselves. IF the majority shows signs of high humidity then yes, I would agree.  Sorry if I missed teh overall picture, but I just saw talk of one egg and I can't remember what everyone has going on...lol 

You should have a hygrometer to get an idea of the humidity rates and monitor your cells to know how to adjust.

xs 2 on the dry.

:lau

I hate the use of "dry" as well! People take it too literally. That's why if you notice, I use the term "low humidity incubation method" and will explain that it is what is offen "mistakenly referred to as "dry".  It is also why I wrote my blog post of humidity-understanding it so  you can know how and when to adjust it.

Yup

That's me.  When I first started getting PMs I was like "wow" ok...now, it's just a normal occurance and I don't mind a bit. I had an awful first hatch and I feel if I can help anyone to keep from having to go through that or continuously go through it, I need to. 
What annoys me is when you ask someone (who is looking for help) what their temps and humidity were during incubation and you get "my temps and humidity were fine." I want to slap them and say, that's not what I am asking. You can answer and I can try to help or you're on your own...lol

True story: When one of my nieces was about 3ish I was doing her ABC's with her. I'd say A she'd say A and so on all the way through the alphabet.... I got to "y". I said "y" she said "because I told you so."  I almost died. It was so funny and she was so darn cute!!

Yay!

Not gonna multiquote today, think I have a sinus infection settling in nicely, ugh...

Amy... :smack

C'mon, girl!! YOU created this thread specifically to show differing opinions... no toe stepping from offering another POV, especially from you...

I do believe she did say there were several that didn't make it, just showed a pic of one... brain is real fuzzy right now, lol...

Yep, all factors figure in to each batch of eggs set each time... even if someone just finished a batch in same incubator, that next one may turn out totally different... hard to always cover all angles though, especially typing on the net...

I don't like the dry term either, but is a lot easier to type out on a phone than what you said, lol... and I usually say that dry = no extra water, not 0% humidity...

And now I can't remember what else I was gonna say... cruddy stuffed up head... :/

Not gonna multiquote today, think I have a sinus infection settling in nicely, ugh...

Amy...
smack.gif

C'mon, girl!! YOU created this thread specifically to show differing opinions... no toe stepping from offering another POV, especially from you...

I do believe she did say there were several that didn't make it, just showed a pic of one... brain is real fuzzy right now, lol...

Yep, all factors figure in to each batch of eggs set each time... even if someone just finished a batch in same incubator, that next one may turn out totally different... hard to always cover all angles though, especially typing on the net...

I don't like the dry term either, but is a lot easier to type out on a phone than what you said, lol... and I usually say that dry = no extra water, not 0% humidity...

And now I can't remember what else I was gonna say... cruddy stuffed up head...
hmm.png
OUCH!!!!! lol

Oh, we are having a lot of sinus issues goingon too.... hate allergy seasons. Hope you feel better girl. (Even if you did smack me.) lol

Amy...
smack.gif

And now I can't remember what else I was gonna say... cruddy stuffed up head...
hmm.png

I had a hard time at first with so many people telling me to run my bator "dry" (no water) and it would be fine. At the time my ambient humidity was in the single digits, with shipped eggs from near sea level, running a Brinsea at an elevation of 5000'. Really sounded like a recipe for shrink-wrapping to me, so I kept researching.

Glad there were other opinions out there and people who posted their different POVs and more thorough explanations so I could determine what felt right for my situation.

@RavynFallen - hope you feel better soon and stay hydrated!
hugs.gif

Thank you Sally Sunshine for your expertise and guidance. When opening the incubator box there are warnings about too little humidity, so that's why we need you experts. I'm not trying to make a bunch of sulfur bombs, well as few as possible anyways.lol.

OUCH!!!!!   lol

Oh, we are having a lot of sinus issues goingon too.... hate allergy seasons.  Hope you feel better girl. (Even if you did smack me.) lol

Oh, you know I love ya! :hugs

Just no need to apologize for offering your opinion, lol... yep, severe allergies here, so think that's what started this... :/

I had a hard time at first with so many people telling me to run my bator "dry" (no water) and it would be fine.  At the time my ambient humidity was in the single digits, with shipped eggs from near sea level, running a Brinsea at an elevation of 5000'.  Really sounded like a recipe for shrink-wrapping to me, so I kept researching.

Glad there were other opinions out there and people who posted their different POVs and more thorough explanations so I could determine what felt right for my situation.

@RavynFallen
 - hope you feel better soon and stay hydrated! :hugs  

I believe ambient humidity plays a huge part in the incubation process, especially when using styros... I incubated all last winter and added water each time, had great hatch rates... spring came and my hatch rates plummeted severely, so I tried dry... hatch rates jumped back up, lol... our ambient humidity here is at least equal to if not higher than our temps at all times...

gachooks being in Georgia, I think has similar humidity thus my suggestions...

You being in drier climate, I would not suggest going full dry... usually I either look at where a person is, or ask what their ambient humidity is before making suggestions on humidity levels in bator...

:hugs thanks for the well wishes... I hate sinus issues... :/

Back
Top Bottom