She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

I think you really have to know your incubator, your incubator humidity level, your ambient humidity level and how fast your incubator humidity recovers.

If you are having trouble keeping your humidity up in a cheap, unregulated incubator in an area with really low humidity, I believe that opening the bator while chicks are pipped can definitely lead to sticky chicks - especially for those people who have to check every egg, all the time, and don't even know their true humidity level.

Therefore, if you are not sure I think it is way better to leave the incubator closed.
You definitely need to know your bator and you need to make sure the humdity comes back up. I watch mine like a hawk and I keep a gallon of water by the bator so I can easily re-wet my sponges if I need to. If someone is having trouble keeping the humidity up in the first place then no, opening wouldn't be advised, that's why I always say "if you have adequate humidity and you can recover it quickly" when someone asks. I also ask if people are hands on or off, cause if you are going to open that bator, take the precaution of using a higher humidity at hatch.

How many days are they past due? I forget... are they duck or chicken?
Duck

I have a ?: My Nankins are doing something I've never seen them do before, they keep swallowing or trying to swallow. Sometimes they look like they are shuddering from trying so hard to swallow. They do this repeatedly. I normally only notice it in the evenings, I think 1 may have done it earlier in the day yesterday after I feed them some clover (no long stems). It started out with 1 doing it, she has stopped but now another hen and both roos are doing it. I just noticed them doing it this evening. The hen looks puffed up and tired, the roos seem fine other than the repeated swallowing gesture. They all ate and drank fine when I fed them dinner. I noticed that they had spilt their water when I went out to feed them, they weren't out long as the ground was still wet from them spilling it. I haven't felt their crops yet as the 1st 1's to do this never did it again after the first time and I just noticed the 2 roos and the 1 hen doing it this evening. I'll check their crops in the morning though. Are they just adjusting their crops or is it possibly an impaction or something else?

Last edited:
I have a ?: My Nankins are doing something I've never seen them do before, they keep swallowing or trying to swallow. Sometimes they look like they are shuddering from trying so hard to swallow. They do this repeatedly. I normally only notice it in the evenings, I think 1 may have done it earlier in the day yesterday after I feed them some clover (no long stems). It started out with 1 doing it, she has stopped but now another hen and both roos are doing it. I just noticed them doing it this evening. The hen looks puffed up and tired, the roos seem fine other than the repeated swallowing gesture. They all ate and drank fine when I fed them dinner. I noticed that they had spilt their water when I went out to feed them, they weren't out long as the ground was still wet from them spilling it. I haven't felt their crops yet as the 1st 1's to do this never did it again after the first time and I just noticed the 2 roos and the 1 hen doing it this evening. I'll check their crops in the morning though. Are they just adjusting their crops or is it possibly an impaction or something else?
See how they are in the morning. If they are still doing it, and more often, it's time to investigate. Did they have anything dry or otherwise difficult to swallow? Do they seem to have difficulty breathing? Let us know what you see in the morning.

Is the water deep enough to dunk their whole head?
Are you referring to Megan's issue? Chickens don't dunk their heads that I know of. Ducks need to get their nares wet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom