She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Changes made...fan airflow reversed so that cool air intake is at the bottom, water pan at the top, fan blowing across water pan (GQF style). Hatcher trays on the bottom.

Everything got cold during the modifications, and I added a couple of room-temp trays as well, so I won't be too concerned until 12 or so hours have passed. Right now turner tray (3rd position from top) is at 99 and hatcher is at 95. While I do want a temperature differential, that's a bit much. I believe it's just because the thermal mass is not up to temp and the thermometer is a slow-acting model.

Now I have a duck egg who fits this description but is only on day 20. Do you still believe it is shrink wrapped? Can I try and help it? Mist it more or something? It still is alive, but not moving as much as the others but also is getting hard to see.
I wasn't trying to scare anyone, and it certainly doesn't mean shrink wrap, but it is more likely if the chick, I'm assuming duck would follow the same characteristics is presenting solely in the bottom (top being void of veining) that the membranes are or have shrunk around the chick. When you turn the egg, there won't be normal movement of chick or liquid because it's being compressed by the membrane. A true shrink wrap literally packages the chick in a tight ball. The pics below are from my two silkies that shrinked wrapped in myy Easter hatch. Day 18 they looked good, day 20, this is what I found. As you can see they are wrapped tight. There was no question when I candled that there was no life. Literally what you saw was the dark mass compressed in the bottom. The rest of the egg was clear and void of any vessels or movement. These pictures were taken during the eggtopsy. They were not opened and left to dry. Many people mistake glued/sticky chicks for shrinkwrapped.

Graphic pics below:

As long as you are seeing movement there is hope. If you are seeing good veining, I wouldn't worry. If there is absolutely no visible veining above/around the bird, then there's reason for concern, but not a whole lot you can do at that point. If you feel your egg is loosing too much moisture and air cell is growing too large but the other eggs are good, you go with what's good for the majority. You can try to put the one closest to the source of humidity (wet sponge, on wet paper towel) and hope for the best, but ultimately you adjust for the majority and not a lone egg.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone, and it certainly doesn't mean shrink wrap, but it is more likely if the chick, I'm assuming duck would follow the same characteristics is presenting solely in the bottom (top being void of veining) that the membranes are or have shrunk around the chick. When you turn the egg, there won't be normal movement of chick or liquid because it's being compressed by the membrane. A true shrink wrap literally packages the chick in a tight ball. The pics below are from my two silkies that shrinked wrapped in myy Easter hatch. Day 18 they looked good, day 20, this is what I found. As you can see they are wrapped tight. There was no question when I candled that there was no life. Literally what you saw was the dark mass compressed in the bottom. The rest of the egg was clear and void of any vessels or movement. These pictures were taken during the eggtopsy. They were not opened and left to dry. Many people mistake glued/sticky chicks for shrinkwrapped.

Graphic pics below:

As long as you are seeing movement there is hope. If you are seeing good veining, I wouldn't worry. If there is absolutely no visible veining above/around the bird, then there's reason for concern, but not a whole lot you can do at that point. If you feel your egg is loosing too much moisture and air cell is growing too large but the other eggs are good, you go with what's good for the majority. You can try to put the one closest to the source of humidity (wet sponge, on wet paper towel) and hope for the best, but ultimately you adjust for the majority and not a lone egg.
It is the same egg with a very small air, always has been smaller but until this last candling could see the duckling easily. Still saw it moving but can barely see anything anymore as it is very dense now in the middle.

It is possible that it drowned, but more likely that its just resting.  Was it zipping or just pipped?  I would at least try to get it to make some movement, since I had one die mid-zip, even if I had to disturb its rest for a minute.
And the air cell does draw down quite a bit more, so depending on the placement, it could still be in the air cell.

I hope little frizzled bob hatches too...I can't wait!!!

Before they hatch the air cell gets drawn down even more. Somtimes down half one side. Lots of people don't get to see how much the air cell changes after lockdown because they are so HANDS OFF!  LOL  But for many of them it is a drastic change and they are usually fine. Now if almost the complete top is empty all the way around and the dark only fills midway to botto chances are good it's shrink wrapped, 

At this time?? At any time once they are set and just fine...lol

Scratch that itch!!!!

True story. And love the pics!!!

Many times they can pip in the middlish and still be in the air cell because it's possible the air cell is drawn down that much. Now, here comes my differences in hatching than my "partner's".  It's not moving even when you play chicks sounds. I would meddle and pull it out just to see if the beak is still at the hole and moving. Sometimes I think it's better to have that reassurance than to sit their and stew and work yourself up. But I don't believe certain doom will come to those who open their bators either as long as they have adequate humidity.

Once I know or am pretty sure I list them on CL and the fb local poutry page I am on. I'll try to sell first, if no takers I will try to give them away, but I have a "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy. I don't want to know their fate. I had to come to terms when I started hatching that many times extra roos are only wanted for processing and if I was going to hatch and raise and not keep them it was a fact a life. So I like to think they are all going to a nice little farm to live out their lives, but I know that's not always the case. I just don't want to know.

Thanks guys, I let it rest a bit and played
some peeping to them. One little chick has his beak through and the one that pipped low is rocking and trying to pip more through the hole, so I think he's OK. Just taking his sweet time is all.

Holy cow, I'm going nuts not being able to candle for signs of life. So much worse than my prior hatches. Its killing me!!
hide.gif

True, but you know what I mean. A broody can do a better job than any of us. It's day 21, the chicks have already gotten into position, why risk introducing human error into something the broody has taken complete control of for 3 weeks.
I totally get it and even agree....that's why I say I'm not looking forward to my first broody hatching experience...lol But I had jab...lol

Ok I'm seriously struggling to just leave the poor broody and chicks alone.
Time to crack on watching the final season of house and go to bed early so I can wake up and see pips/zips or even chicks :D

If only I could put a camera under my broody haha

Ok I'm seriously struggling to just leave the poor broody and chicks alone.
Time to crack on watching the final season of house and go to bed early so I can wake up and see pips/zips or even chicks :D

If only I could put a camera under my broody haha
I'm not saying my way is the only way. That's the point of this thread, it's just how I do it.
You haven't seen the final season of House yet? That was a great show

Back
Top Bottom