She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Yes I remember. And I suppose it shouldn't matter to me. I just hate to see a white silkie with a big gob of cecal poo all over her back!
lol.png

Take a hint from the 19th century and offset the roosts. Mine are offset about 16" and completely avoid the poop rain issue.

Oops, forgot... my 2nd polish hatched just before midnight. So I have 3 cochin and 2 polish, and 1 polish on the way. Quickly candled when I removed the last one this morning, so I'm doubtful on the rest. Looks like my parade will get rained out! :p I do have one splay leg and curled foot -- on the fella that pipped on the wrong side of the egg. And the first polish had a little pasty butt, but looks good this morning. And since I take a million pictures, I'm going to share a few...
Ack! I'm so sick of this site eating my posts, anyways for the second try: How cute!
1f60d.png
1f423.png
Congrats on the babies! How's the rest of the hatch going? I've hatched 8 out of 11 so far, 3 left in the incubator. I candled last night, I thought I saw movement but I think I'm just desperate to see anything. Figures they're the AM eggs too, so I only have a couple of those. I can't wait to do another hatch, I wish I could squeeze one more in this summer. I'm going to shoot for another come August/September. I have to say though these BLRW's are so cute And an AM: My husband is almost done with the coop too. Needs some stain (I'm thinking red) he used an old window for a pulley door. It's nice because it gets a little sun, but the coop is in the shade too. We also need to add some ventilation, and he has to put the nesting boxes in. We have a while before we need those though. Also need the run- but they'll be free ranging too, and a ramp for them to get in and out. But it's a good start. Also, I think my other orpington is a roo, so he'll have to go. My husbands best friend wants him so he can go there. Also I have black spots coming in some, on my lighter girl, so I think she'll be splash.

Ack! I'm so sick of this site eating my posts, anyways for the second try:

How cute!
1f60d.png
1f423.png

Congrats on the babies! How's the rest of the hatch going?

I've hatched 8 out of 11 so far, 3 left in the incubator. I candled last night, I thought I saw
movement but I think I'm just desperate to see anything. Figures they're the AM eggs too, so I only have a couple of those. I can't wait to do another hatch, I wish I could squeeze one more in this summer. I'm going to shoot for another come August/September.

I have to say though these BLRW's are so cute

And an AM:

My husband is almost done with the coop too. Needs some stain (I'm thinking red) he used an old window for a pulley door. It's nice because it gets a little sun, but the coop is in the shade too. We also need to add some ventilation, and he has to put the nesting boxes in. We have a while before we need those though. Also need the run- but they'll
be free ranging too, and a ramp for them to get in and out. But it's a good start. Also, I think my other orpington is a roo, so he'll have to go. My husbands best friend wants him so he can go there. Also I have black spots coming in some, on my lighter girl, so I think she'll be splash.

Love that coop
thumbsup.gif

The pulley door is a great idea

Take a hint from the 19th century and offset the roosts. Mine are offset about 16" and completely avoid the poop rain issue.

Are you meaning two poles, one higher than the other, but one further away from the wall? I don't have the height. I extended the pole lengthwise, they just won't go over there. They sit on the floor below the pole where the others are sitting.

Ack! I'm so sick of this site eating my posts, anyways for the second try:

How cute!
1f60d.png
1f423.png

Congrats on the babies! How's the rest of the hatch going?

I've hatched 8 out of 11 so far, 3 left in the incubator. I candled last night, I thought I saw
movement but I think I'm just desperate to see anything. Figures they're the AM eggs too, so I only have a couple of those. I can't wait to do another hatch, I wish I could squeeze one more in this summer. I'm going to shoot for another come August/September.

I have to say though these BLRW's are so cute

And an AM:

My husband is almost done with the coop too. Needs some stain (I'm thinking red) he used an old window for a pulley door. It's nice because it gets a little sun, but the coop is in the shade too. We also need to add some ventilation, and he has to put the nesting boxes in. We have a while before we need those though. Also need the run- but they'll
be free ranging too, and a ramp for them to get in and out. But it's a good start. Also, I think my other orpington is a roo, so he'll have to go. My husbands best friend wants him so he can go there. Also I have black spots coming in some, on my lighter girl, so I think she'll be splash.

Not a bad hatch, and those babies are adorable!! Kissable!! And the LO's too. I'm not partial to them or anything...
wink.png

And the coop is looking awesome! I still need to paint mine too. (all 3 of them!) Did you see all the pretty colored ones posted several days ago? I wish I was bold enough to go with a bright color, but I think I'm going to go brown/green for camoflauge. Still might paint the grow-out coop pink... (or pink and baby blue?)

I have 5 doubtfuls left in there, and one polish left that has pipped but not zipped yet. Should be out within the next few hours
fl.gif
Not sure if my temperature fluctuations the last 4-5 days did them in or what.
sad.png
My LO's were so much better.

Are you meaning two poles, one higher than the other, but one further away from the wall? I don't have the height. I extended the pole lengthwise, they just won't go over there. They sit on the floor below the pole where the others are sitting.
I can't help you as far as silkies sitting on the floor, mine never roost, but yes, one higher and further away from the wall. You can even do same level further from the wall. My standard roost setup from the first pole to the second is 8 inches higher and 16 inches back

Edit: I will look and see if I have a picture

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom