She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Anybody here ever have any dealings with McMurray Hatchery, in PA? I wonder if they allow hatching egg customers to pick up, or whether they're shipping only.
All the horror stories I've read on here about the rough handling shipped eggs have to endure makes me afraid to go that route. Buying live birds entails quarantine, so that's out,
I don't know of anyone local breeding RIR's, & haven't noticed any CL ads for fertile RIR eggs. I'm not looking to do anything til Spring; just trying to get my "ducks in a row" early.
Anybody got any bright ideas?

This may all be moot; was just on their web site, and it doesn't appear that they even sell hatching eggs.
Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
It is more from the water they spill out onto the pine shavings--causes it to grow. Of course coccidiosis hast to be at your place and there are a bunch of different strains.
Ok, I know I saw some poop in the water the other day, so that caught my attention. I have 3 separate water bowls and I elevate them with 3-4 bricks each. As I get more chickens, I'll probably have to switch to a watering system like the pic.
I haven't shared any dinner details for a while. For those who are newer to the thread, I grow a lot of things and make a lot of food. Just an old fashioned farm, ya know? Today's dinner is lasagna...with homemade pork sausage, homemade turkey egg lasagna noodles, home grown tomato sauce, homemade parmesan cheese, homemade mozzarella... Yum.
Coming from someone who is Italian and makes lasagna, I can really appreciate all the hard work that went into making that!! Looks amazing! I don't know how you have time to do it all!
Anybody here ever have any dealings with McMurray Hatchery, in PA? I wonder if they allow hatching egg customers to pick up, or whether they're shipping only. All the horror stories I've read on here about the rough handling shipped eggs have to endure makes me afraid to go that route. Buying live birds entails quarantine, so that's out, I don't know of anyone local breeding RIR's, & haven't noticed any CL ads for fertile RIR eggs. I'm not looking to do anything til Spring; just trying to get my "ducks in a row" early. Anybody got any bright ideas?
I've heard that people do pretty good with hatcheries. I guess it depends on the type of stock you are looking for. Also, you can try the "where are you/where am I" (or something like that) section of byc and ask around for anyone in your area.

Anybody here ever have any dealings with McMurray Hatchery, in PA? I wonder if they allow hatching egg customers to pick up, or whether they're shipping only.
All the horror stories I've read on here about the rough handling shipped eggs have to endure makes me afraid to go that route. Buying live birds entails quarantine, so that's out,
I don't know of anyone local breeding RIR's, & haven't noticed any CL ads for fertile RIR eggs. I'm not looking to do anything til Spring; just trying to get my "ducks in a row" early.

This may all be moot; was just on their web site, and it doesn't appear that they even sell hatching eggs.
Have you been to your state's thread? Ask there. Most hatcheries don't sell eggs, and if they do, they're more expensive than the chicks.

I snuck outside for a quick smoke after getting the baby to bed and look who literally wanted to join me...he's obviously not scared of me. I was scared to make any sudden movements, he was close enough he could have sprayed me!

I snuck outside for a quick smoke after getting the baby to bed and look who literally wanted to join me...he's obviously not scared of me. I was scared to make any sudden movements, he was close enough he could have sprayed me!

I think skunks are beautiful but I read today where someone lost a lot of chicks to one
sad.png

Hello everyone. .I'm getting my first batch of shipped eggs..
I've heard that you should let them settle for 24 hrs before putting them in incubator?
I guess I could use a few pointers..
I've hatched a few batches of my own eggs successfully. . Just never shipped eggs before. . Any help would be appreciated. ..

McMurray offers chick, duck, goose, turkey, quail, guinea, pheasant, and chukar hatching eggs.

I used to buy chicks from them. They are hatchery stock but if you are interested in backyard/pet quality birds, they were a good supplier when I last bought from them 5 or so years ago.

What's the extension cord say? Either the tag or the wire insulation will tell you the wire gauge.
My tag says AWG 16/2 SPT-2 Vinyl Cord. So 16 gauge, correct?

Do they get coccidiosis from poop in their water?
I'd love to see a pic of him! I haven't had to quarantine yet, but I've read, here on byc, that it's 30 days. I think after week 2, you pick one from your flock as a test buddy. And you put that one in with him, over the last two weeks look for any signs of illness in the buddy from your flock that you put in with him.
It's been over a week so I guess one more week and we pick a friend. He was sleeping with his head out the sliding door tonight, like a dog in a doghouse.
lau.gif
I will have to get a good picture of him.

Meyer Hatchery sells hatching eggs. I've been considering it for my incubator once I know it's good. They are about a 40 minute drive from me. Or you could always post a want ad or check the hatching eggs buy/sell forum.

My tag says AWG 16/2 SPT-2 Vinyl Cord. So 16 gauge, correct?

It's been over a week so I guess one more week and we pick a friend. He was sleeping with his head out the sliding door tonight, like a dog in a doghouse.
lau.gif
I will have to get a good picture of him.

Meyer Hatchery sells hatching eggs. I've been considering it for my incubator once I know it's good. They are about a 40 minute drive from me. Or you could always post a want ad or check the hatching eggs buy/sell forum.

Yes, AWG 16/2 means 16 gauge, 2 conductor (no ground). Vinyl cord means the insulation isn't suitable for high heat applications, so be careful not to use it where it would be in contact with or in close proximity to a heating element or light bulb.

I would be in so much trouble if Meyer was 40 minutes away. We get our started layer pullets there. It's about 2 1/2 hours each way.

Back
Top Bottom