She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Hey guys.. haven't stopped in lately.
I'm still struggling with the BCMs. I had 7 make it to lockdown. I got 2 chicks and had to assist both. One was pipped at the wrong end and was covered in white-clear gel that turns to cement when the air gets to it. The other pipped and couldn't ever zip. Gave it a day and a half.. so I helped that one out. I run no water days 1-19.. bump to 50 - 60% for hatch. I'm frustrated with them. I'm averaging about 2 chicks per 15 eggs set.. I think I've had one hatch unassisted.
On a better note, my Wheaten Ameraucanas I bought from peachick are hatching! I'm using carton hatching for the 1ST time. 3 are out, 2 more are pipped. Can't wait to see how many I have in the morning. I had 12/15 make it to lockdown.
Blackwood Hollow graciously sent me TWENTY BLRW eggs :) :) :) They're doing great, pulled a couple blood rings and clears, but most are developing great. They're due to hatch a week from tomorrow. Can't wait!
I've got one more set of 13 BCM's in the bator, they're around day 7..
After that I'm taking a break and I'm going to enjoy the chicks I do have :)

Hi if anyone can help me I am hatching mallard eggs that were left behind when their mother died.. Two have started to "pip" I think but it has been over 24 hours and no progress. I can hear chirping and they shake but I am worried they are having a hard time. This could be due to low humidity (its a cheap incubator) which I have tried to increase today by adding a sponge and spraying the eggs. I hope this helps but is it too late? Is the membrane already damaged?
(I live in a condo btw and know essentially nothing about incubating/hatching so ANY advicd would be wonderful)
Also a few have dark veinlike bruises forming- what does this mean?

Hi if anyone can help me I am hatching mallard eggs that were left behind when their mother died.. Two have started to "pip" I think but it has been over 24 hours and no progress. I can hear chirping and they shake but I am worried they are having a hard time. This could be due to low humidity (its a cheap incubator) which I have tried to increase today by adding a sponge and spraying the eggs. I hope this helps but is it too late? Is the membrane already damaged?
(I live in a condo btw and know essentially nothing about incubating/hatching so ANY advicd would be wonderful)
Also a few have dark veinlike bruises forming- what does this mean?

Sometimes duck eggs get some weird discolorations when they're close to hatching... do you have a really bright flashlight or a good flashlight app on your phone? Would help to candle them to see if they have internally pipped yet...

Ducks take a loooong time to hatch, so don't freak out...

Sometimes duck eggs get some weird discolorations when they're close to hatching... do you have a really bright flashlight or a good flashlight app on your phone? Would help to candle them to see if they have internally pipped yet...

Ducks take a loooong time to hatch, so don't freak out...

I candled about two days ago and I believed they have all internally pipped. There was lots of movement and I believe I was able to identify the beak in almost all of them. (There's 10, if I didnt already mention that). Also, how important is lockdown? I see many people on here talking about that which has made me too nervous to candle again. I still do (sparingly) open the incubator too add humidity and I hope that doesn't hurt them.

In the above picture you can see the "bruising" I was talking about on egg #4

I candled about two days ago and I believed they have all internally pipped. There was lots of movement and I believe I was able to identify the beak in almost all of them. (There's 10, if I didnt already mention that). Also, how important is lockdown? I see many people on here talking about that which has made me too nervous to candle again. I still do (sparingly) open the incubator too add humidity and I hope that doesn't hurt them.

In the above picture you can see the "bruising" I was talking about on egg #4

I hatch Call ducks, so for me there is no such thing as lockdown, lol... if they haven't externally pipped, then you can open the bator and check on them... as long as the shell is still intact, that keeps their membrane from drying out...

I would candle that one to see what's going on...

I hatch Call ducks, so for me there is no such thing as lockdown, lol... if they haven't externally pipped, then you can open the bator and check on them... as long as the shell is still intact, that keeps their membrane from drying out...

Okay good news! (I think!) 4 is moving and cheeping. When I tapped on shell it even tapped back! Very cool. Also several others have began to externally pip and I have added another sponge to up the humidity. Fingers crossed that all is well! Thanks for the advice I will keep you updated if anything changes:)

Okay good news! (I think!) 4 is moving and cheeping. When I tapped on shell it even tapped back! Very cool. Also several others have began to externally pip and I have added another sponge to up the humidity. Fingers crossed that all is well! Thanks for the advice I will keep you updated if anything changes:)

That is perfect!! Yes, please do! :)

I do chickens and I still don't have a "lockdown" lol!

Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom