1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She started limping.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chenaweena, Nov 11, 2015.

1. chenaweena

chenaweena New Egg

Nov 11, 2015
    Hello - I need some advice. A few days ago my little red hen started limping. I inspected her little foot and found nothing wrong. As a few days passed, she walked but with her foot curled up. I carefully checked her leg and it seemed like there was no problems. Yesterday I found her laying and she could not stand up. She looks fine, she is eating and drinking but she cannot stand - When I stand her up and she falls over. Her foot is all curled up but there appears to be no injury. What could be the problem?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Start your hen on poultry vitamins in her water right away or give some BComplex, and make sure they contain riboflavin (vitamin B2.) She may have a deficiency, but sometimes Mareks disease can also cause curled toe paralysis. Do you know if she was vaccinated for Mareks?Please let us know how she does after the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by