1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

She started then stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Samjoe, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Samjoe

Samjoe Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2014
    I wanted to run this by y'all to see what you think. I have 4 RSLs that are 21 weeks old. Only one is laying . The other 3 don't seem quite ready. Not much of a comb and no squatting. I'm not too worried about them they seem fine. The other is Gladys , she has a big red comb and is squatting,she started laying pretty ,small clean eggs,about one every other day for about 12 days. After that she has stopped,it's been 6 days now since she laid an egg. They are on nutrena all flock because I have 2 BR pullets that are 15 weeks. I have oyster shell free choice.I can't see any evidence that she's tried the oyster shell.I was going to finish this bag then go to layer feed.
    Should I be worried about her with this long delay? I just examined her and she seems fine. I felt her bottom and can't feel anything unusual. All my pullets are shiny clean and happy.

2. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Sounds fairly normal, although disappointing. I completely understand. I also only have one laying and if there's not an egg from her in the box it kinda casts a dark cloud over my whole day. I think your girl is ok, from what you've said here.

3. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Are you sure she's stopped is there any chance she's got a hidden nest while out free ranging?

4. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    No they don't get out much unsupervised. I have too many predators to let them out without me watching them. I lost 2 early summer and am still a little gun shy. Plus they destroy my tomatoes.

5. nuttyboo

nuttyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    It's not unusual for new layers to go days in between laying, if her abdomen and vent area are normal not distended or hard. She's eating drinking acting like a chicken I wouldn't worry it takes time for them to get the links worked out

6. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    8 days now,still no egg. I checked her again today and she seems fine. I also gave the coop a good look for signs of a snake or skunk. Everything seems normal. I'm not worried about the eggs,just want to be sure she's ok. She's my favorite chicken.

7. cblakley0531

cblakley0531 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Shelton, WA
    My Coop
    I

I have a feeling I'm starting to board the same boat with you. My favorite hen started laying. Week ago, she gave me three eggs but hasn't the last three days. I feel like she's not touching her free choice oyster shells :(

8. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    13 days no egg. I'm going to put a grocery store egg in the nest box. I don't see any evidence of egg eating though.

9. Samjoe

May 12, 2014
    Okay! I took a grocery store egg down and wouldn't you know it she laid today. 14 days this lady took off ,we'll see what future holds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by