She turned on me 😩

Our BO Lemon I call ‘pecky chicken’ because she goes after bare ankles and is pecky if I bother her in the nest box or under their coop when I am filling up the feed and water. If I wear my boots and jeans she is fine, but she’ll go after my hands and my rings too. No blood drawn but several welts. She was also the ‘babied’ chick and only pecks me-the food bringer and general chicken minder. Has never gone after the kids at all and they carry her around all the time. If I immediately pick her up when she does this(she loves being held) she chills out. I have also had to ‘peck’ her head with a finger a few times as a gentle reminder of who is the boss. She is just a greedy little pumpkin that is impatient with the scrap bucket. If I raise more chicks I will hand feed less, I think if you get one with a greedy disposition it can be more problematic. She lays beautiful eggs tho and we love her in spite of her greedy little nature. Lol

Sounds odd for a hen to attack... a couple of my hens do peck at my clothes, but I really think they’re just trying to get my attention! They’re very tame and very needy 🤣
I’ve read that they can peck at clothing as they see some kinda infrared light and washing powder shimmers to them. However, pecking bare flesh without there being something to peck at seems strange to me.

Back
Top Bottom