SHE was caught in the act, cannibal, NOW what?

Yes they don't leave a trace- mine eat broken eggs but not intact eggs, when my 'light' (in color not weight) Brahma go broody they tend to shatter eggs- dummies... they or another hen will clean up the nest to not attract predators.

Is it possible that the eggs are breaking because of the 'trading/stealing' and not being punctured.

Yes they don't leave a trace- mine eat broken eggs but not intact eggs, when my 'light' (in color not weight) Brahma go broody they tend to shatter eggs- dummies... they or another hen will clean up the nest to not attract predators.

Is it possible that the eggs are breaking because of the 'trading/stealing' and not being punctured.

In my case, she was definitely puncturing the eggs and then eating, she will go OUT of her way to get the eggs, underneath my three girls that are sitting. She will peck the crap out of them until the move then get the eggs. She's a nasty little chicken although she is very friendly, you could grab her, talk to her. When I clean out the coop she is right there looking for any insects. She loves to hang out with me. Her personality as a chicken is WONDERFUL but this egg eating thing. HAS GOT TO GO... Each year about this time, I usually get waxworms for all my chickens, I haven't done that yet so far. Perhaps I should reconsider this weekend. Although she is new she's not aware of the waxworm treat yet..

THIS IS A GREAT LINK.. THANK YOU, OFF TO MAKING SOME SCRAMBLED EGGS AND PUT SOME FAKE ONES DOWN. I hope this helps. Lately she has NOT bothered my girls however I did notice, each night I usually collect 18 eggs or so, tonight, I only found 6 eggs. so she is either really busy, or they just didn't lay that many today or they all found a new laying place. Probably a new laying place since she's been bothering the other girls each time they go to lay... I will find out tomorrow. It's hard to keep an eye on her since I have to work during the day. I know she's not doing this horrible act on the weekend because I'm out there with her and she will hang with me (yeh, acting all innocent). So before she goes to Chicken Jail, I will cook her up some scrambled eggs, and do an egg count tomorrow. I have oyster shells down for her but I never see her got near it, my other chickens will peck at the shells but I have never seen her do it..

i have a gorgeous silkie hen, her name is cannibal. couldn't understand why none of my silkies were laying. one day we caught one laying, and within no time the egg was gone. happened 2 or 3 times, i am a little slow, ok???

we separated her with a lavender roo, she is in jail with him, she is like clockwork, every other day she lays an egg. i put a bunch of golf balls in her box, distracts her enough that i can steal that egg. i have several of her offspring in my brooder..they are gorgeous....

i have a gorgeous silkie hen, her name is cannibal. couldn't understand why none of my silkies were laying. one day we caught one laying, and within no time the egg was gone. happened 2 or 3 times, i am a little slow, ok???

we separated her with a lavender roo, she is in jail with him, she is like clockwork, every other day she lays an egg. i put a bunch of golf balls in her box, distracts her enough that i can steal that egg. i have several of her offspring in my brooder..they are gorgeous..

WOW, I HAVE NEVER HAD A SILKIE DO THAT..

Last edited:
I would not hatch from an egg eater- it might have a genetic disposition towards egg eating... personal preference though.

As in eating broken or removing soft eggs from the nest is natural and correct- pecking still soft eggs that just came out of you or bulling other birds to get at egs is improper and not correct.

I am fairly certain that egg eating is a learned behavior; however, I am old enough to not discount the possibility of anything when dealing with living creatures. Yes, that includes humans.

It is likely a learned behavior that is reinforced by the reward received, but some of the chicks I've raised peck anything- hard- with a swift hard stab... this would be bad on a thin shelled egg, just laid egg- and then the behavior is rewarded.

I've hatched from all of those birds ( as it was only a small flock) and the sons were worse, but even the daughters have a pecking issue- and when they learn eggs are full of yummy goodness you have an egg eater. (from the same mother and father, mother a pecker, father not - the half sisters by a different hen do not display the inquisitive sharp peck at items)

Don't know if I am 'culling' (removing from breeding) the curious chickens, the brave chickens or the noisy chickens - either way it's an instinct/behavior that sets up for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom