She was supposed to be an Americauna...

Earthwise

Chirping
Apr 21, 2016
mid-Michigan
My chicken was bought from a large feed store, and I hear they aren't known for getting the breed names right, especially when it comes to Americaunas- which is what Jenny was listed as. Usually they are actually easter eggers? But I've seen some pictures of other breeds and wondering if she just got put in the wrong bin. She looked slightly different from her cage mates. Wondering after seeing a picture of a copper maran online if she might be that because of the feather pattern. However, her comb is virtually nonexistent at nearly 20 weeks old. She has the tiniest little sprout of a comb that appeared after these pictures. She has absolutely no fluffy cheeks that Americaunas are supposed to have.
Would love to hear some others guesses.

This is the picture I saw online that got me thinking about black copper maran because of the feather patterning. But my girl is definitely lacking that comb.

She is an Easter egger. They don't always have muffs. I have two right now that don't have muffs and one looks pretty similar to yours.

Yeah, whenever you buy from a feed store bin there is always the chance of misplacement, and not always from previous customers either. One of my "Easter Egger pullets" turned out to be a Black Australorp, another decided that laying the other hens would be more fun than laying eggs (He's already started practicing, much to the immature hen's dismay!). And feed stores/hatcheries never sell actual Ameraucanas, those you need to get from a breeder, and aren't easy to find either.

I agree, your EE does look a lot like a Marans. Was the store selling Marans as well? There is another possibility too; one of her parents may have had Marans blood. If so you may have gotten what is commonly known as an Olive Egger. You'll know once she starts laying.

Dark brown=Marans
Dark green=Olive Egger

Good luck. Either way, you still have a gorgeous bird!

Last edited:
Yeah, whenever you buy from a feed store bin there is always the chance of misplacement, and not always from previous customers either. One of my "Easter Egger pullets" turned out to be a Black Australorp, another decided that laying the other hens would be more fun than laying eggs (He's already started practicing, much to the immature hen's dismay!).

I almost DIED!!!
1f602.png

Thanks all! I'll let you know when she lays her first egg if it's an olive egger (or dark chocolatey brown!). That would be lovely!
I don't think they had any marans at the store where I bought her- but good point on the parentage. Easter eggers are basically mutts with a good chance of having a colorful egg is my understanding. So she could have a parent or grandparent who was a maran. We think she's pretty fantastic and gorgeous no matter what kind she is.

welcome-byc.gif

She's an Easter egger. Clean faced (non-bearded) birds are pretty common the last few years.

her comb is a pea comb. that's why it looks so small.

Black copper Marans are larger, fluffier, and wider bodied. They have straight combs. They're solid black, with just the copper around the neck. they also have white skin.

I don't think this looks like a copper maran. I think she looks like an Easter egger. I have one with muffs and one without. That is perfectly normal.

Back
Top Bottom