Shed conversion

The 25 (5 silkies who expect to huddle in the bedding) chickens spent their first day in the shed coop and run. It seems all is going well so far. We are leaving for the weekend for Christmas vacation and my neighbor is holding down the fort (the same neighbor who adores my flock and helped snuggle my injured pullet in the fall. The birds love her just as much as she loves them 🤗) We still need to dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, but I think it will work for the weekend. We need to trim zip ties, mount the nesting boxes up, and hang the curtain and rain guard over gables. No heater. Dog crate in case anyone acts up or is injured while away. The wire is being used for a baby monitor just for the weekend until we can put a ring camera in.

Feedback?

PXL_20221222_212613784.jpg
PXL_20221222_212534888.jpg
PXL_20221222_212524198.jpg

Last edited:
Shed looks nice inside and out.

As for the ventilation the minimum is one SF per bird. I don't know exactly how big that slot is, and I'm assuming you have one on the rear gable as well, it doesn't look like enough for 25 birds.

Thats the only issue (IMO) with barn style roofs. If you can't get enough ventilation on the gables theres really nowhere else to get it.

Gambrel roofs can be modified like this:
View attachment 3357312

Well I've been in construction for quite while and I've never seen a overhang on a barn roof at the middle angle like you show. And as you can see the OP's roof is not built like that. I suppose with some involved modification you could add eves on either side at that point, but its certainly not the norm.

As for the bottom eve area that would put the openings below the roosting are and therefore wouldn't be ventilation but act more like an open window no?

The more important question is what do you think about the ventilation as is, adequate?

but its certainly not the norm
No, it's not the norm, never said it was...
....just showing what I saw one chicken keep here do.
Could add fly rafters on the gable ends too, to protect the gable venting.

I extended the eaves on my shed, see my coop page, several years before I had chickens.

I know there were concerns with the amount of ventilation. So far we have a window in the back of the shed along with the both gables entirely cut out. We will put 4 roof vents in and make the top half of both doors a window/hinged opening once warmer weather hits. We are depopulating roos and bring our numbers down. By tonight we will have 22 birds, 5 which are silkies. We have nesting boxes under the poop boards against the walls made from old wine crates. They use 4/5 of them regularly. In my poop boards I have 50/50 sweet pdz and construction sand. Shavings on the floor which I may change to sand for the summer. I have had no issues with birds so far with this set up, even during that super cold stretch we had around Christmas. Not one speck of frostbite. Let's hope it continues to work.
Screenshot_20230121-181138.png

Back
Top Bottom