Shed conversions as coops

They peck each other a lot, so they need quite a bit of space for their usual living area - so a tractor probably wouldn't work. The 5x5 meter pen is hardly enough at the moment.. We're building two square runs and are going to put a shed between the two, and rotate the chickens between them. They mess it up very quickly!

This is a shed we bought at Home Depot for the use as a chicken coop. We installed vents, and a window for air circulation. We also installed a doggy door so in the winter the coop can stay closed but the chickens can walk outside, if wanted. Because we get so much snow here we have added a covered deck over the double doors, which is where the chickens spend most of the day during inclement weather. They hate the snow and won't walk on it. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the deck. The roost is on the left with containers under it to catch droppings. The nesting boxes are on the right. I now keep the food cans underneath the deck so there is more room in the coop.

62892_dsc_0160.jpg

Even though it doesn't look like it in this picture the coop is very level. I must have been off the day I took this picture.
gig.gif

62892_dsc_0163.jpg

We have a uncovered 6ft fence surrounding the coop. Our dogs keep predators away during the day, and at night the chickens are locked up. I might be covering it in the future because we have started to attract Hawks, blasted things.
hmm.png

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Nope, not at all. We put the window on the side with the next boxes because I had read in, Backyard Chickens for Dummies, page 114. "Hens like next boxes that are in dimly lit areas of the coop. Cover nest boxes and consider putting them under windows rather than across from them". It has worked for us. Guess I got lucky.
big_smile.png

BTW, the nesting boxes are the same height as the roost.
wink.png

Last edited:
Here's mine. It is a 8x10 clearance shed from Lowes marked down from $2400 to $900. Delivery and installation cost $300.

34566_shed.jpg

Inside before:

34566_shed-2.jpg

Laid vinyl flooring, insulated and covered walls with OSB, and installed automatic pop door:

34566_shed-3.jpg

Painted outside to match house:

34566_shed-4.jpg

Painted inside and added ladder roost:

34566_shed-5.jpg

Converted the wall cabinets to nest boxes:

34566_shed-6.jpg

Added flowers and chickens:

34566_shed-7.jpg

Thank you all! What do you think would be a good size shed for six chickens and a reasonable storage area?

Used a Royal Outdoor shed as a chicken coop. Had it for almost nine years now and still going strong! Its Yardmate, 4x7 and roughly a 12 x 8 run. Ever since we had it brand new, we put in window and doggy door and use the screen hardware door for warm months and solid door for winter months. It is easy to install and dismantle.
Coopandchickens018.jpg

Coopandchickens021.jpg

Used horse rubber mat or truck mat for wood floor foundation.
coop004.jpg

Leveling out with patio bricks, using concrete blocks as to keep the wood floor off the ground.
coop001.jpg

Installing......
coop005.jpg

coop006.jpg

coop007.jpg

coop010.jpg

Finishing touches.....
coop011.jpg

Took hubby two and half hours without interruption. He is such a perfectionist and wants everything to line up.
Last week, the IP company contracted the tree service, they deemed the pine tree a hazardous to the power lines so they have my permission to cut it down. Making plans of extending the run way back in the property line, therefore they will have MORE room to run, another eight feet.

such beautiful houses! I was wondering why nobody uses the rubber horse mats for flooring - I have them in my guinea's house and just love them! I cover them with shavings and shovel/hose them out for cleaning. I also have them for flooring in my parrot's outdoor aviary - can't beat 'em for hose-ability and a softer landing than concrete when it comes to poor flyers...
wink.png

I love these shed ideas! I will be putting up a coop this spring for my baby silkies and the rubbermaid/premade sheds look great! Especially since I am seriously challenged in the building department
hu.gif

6ftX6ft shed with hoop run attached:
25976_winter_coop_from_front_porch_view.jpg

nestboxes under the roost poop shelf:
25976_coop_improvements_sept_2011.jpg

picture of several bantam chickens (presently 13 birds) using the roosts above the poop shelf:
25976_p120111_1553.jpg

Pic of 10 year old boy last winter after a big snowstorm (gives pretty good comparison of size)
25976_p020211_1235_01.jpg

The hoop, covered for winter, attached to the side of the shed with chicken door at lower edge of shed:
25976_hoop_chickens_is_this_enough_room.jpg

The chickens' door is a bathroom window on sale at Lowe's for $9. Chosen for its easy and sturdy latch. Framed by free pallet wood. Pretty Aphrodite loves it:
25976_pretty_aphrodite_by_new_door.jpg

I give you these pics to light your "ideas fire", but I don't recommend copying my mistakes!
old.gif
I did this before I knew what SHOULD be there for the chickens: the hoop SHOULD be made of sturdier wire (ie hardware cloth or cattle fencing) because dogs can easily tear this hoop apart. The water SHOULD live outside in the hoop, because our chickens are messy and spill their water in the coop, resulting in our hard work and wasted time cleaning up after ammonia buildup under their coop litter. This shed we insulated for sound because we keep a few roosters, but the coop SHOULD have better ventillation! The nestboxes SHOULD be easier access so we can collect the eggs easier, instead of discovering broody hens on eggs back under and behind the nestboxes. That's how we get these:
25976_line-bred_new_chicks_july_31_2011.jpg

Quote:
I love the rubbermaid thing too! I think the plastic will prevent mites. We had that once, now we're feeling guilty about using poison dust, but there's no other way to keep the mites controlled. The mites love wood chicken houses.

I wonder if somebody out there isnt' ready to build chicken coops for us out of recycled plastic? I'd pay. I'd pay big for the convenience, safety and good looks of a plastic easy-clean, secure coop.

Back
Top Bottom