Shed/Coop Conversion

UpstateNY845

In the Brooder
6 Years
I'm 20 with 0 building experience - but I am confident in my coop design. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG (it would be greatly appreciated) I have a 10x10 shed, which is currently housing all sorts of things including the pool pump. I plan to wall that section off, leaving me with a 7x10 coop area. I'll cut a hole in the rear wall that will lead to the 20x15' run. I've started digging a foot into the ground along the perimeter to bury some hardware cloth. (1/4"x24" 20gauge) I've got old dog houses I'm breaking down and upcycling to nesting boxes, and i have PLENTY of wood to use for roosting poles, and even a roof over a small part of the run. (my stepdad is somewhat of a wood horder, I've collected enough around the yard to build a coop from scratch if i wanted). I want to house 23 hens and 2 roos. (buff orp, rhode island red, red sex link, and a few barred rocks cause i find them stunning)
I'm using 1"x48" poultry wire for the run, which will overlap the hardware cloth. The part I need help/advice with: I want to install a door on the run adjacent to a fenced in compost pile. I haven't thought of a way to do that AND keep the run rodent proof. Is it possible? Should I just let the chickens free range a bit and find their way to the compost? (the only reason im not a hundred percent confident with free ranging is the neighbor's pack of young boxers - i don't trust them)
Comments/Suggestions anyone???

A 7x10 coop is only big enough for 17 birds of that size, unless they will only be in the coop at night. If you try to house 25 birds in a 7x10 (lets say there is some bad weather) you will have grumpy, sick, beat up hens that are not very stunning at all. Now, if you can somehow convince your family to allow you to clear out the whole shed, you can house 25 birds safely. Your run is good for about 30 birds though, so if they have access to the run several hours every day, the size of the coop may not matter as much. (Especially if part of the run has a roof over it for bad weather days.

I'll be the first to admit, my coop is NOT pretty, but we have never lost a bird to a predator, heat or cold while they were in the coop, and the last 2 Summers where the worst I've seen in my lifetime. (It was 118 in the shade!) Since you have some of the same breeds that I do, I'm guessing they will handle the weather about like mine do. I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but as long as your girls are dry, they will be okay. Our coop is open air, but it has a solid roof, a wind break on the North side and half of the East and West sides and 1 heat lamp during the winter. During the Summer it only has the North wind break and we store the heat lamp for the next year.

Good Ventilation is the key!

That's the best advice I can give you. If you have any more questions, check out the coop pages for ideas. If you want to know how much room you need per bird, roost or nest box dimensions, ect. you came to the right web site. (I learned almost everything about my chickens on this site.) There are a few things that you will learn on your own, from your own flock. And the other members here will be happy to learn from you too!! Good luck with your coop and your birds!!!

They will DEFINITELY have access to the run for several hours a day. I myself couldn't stay "cooped up" without losing my mind, so I would never do that to my girls. We do get VERY cold winters, so my hope is that having a slightly smaller coop with some insulation will help to keep them warm in the winter. I almost forgot about ventilation, I'll have to install another window. Thanks for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom