Shed Coop need advice

DragonflyBayou

Chirping
Mar 29, 2018
Brusly, LA
My Coop
My Coop
Good Morning!
So my head is spinning just a bit, trying to figure out the whole ventilation thing in the design of our coop. I decided to get a Tuff Shed built and outfit it to be a coop with about 3' wide sectioned off for storage. I have attached some renderings and of a drawing of the floor plan (pretty much nothing set in stone yet except size 8X10)
I would love for some input on window placement, wall vents etc. We live in South Louisiana so it does get very hot in the summer. I have included the orientation as it relates to NSWE. We get some strong south winds and some strong north winds. There is a tree line on the back (W) side of where the coop will be placed, which begins to shade the coop by about 3 or 4 in the spring/summer.
During the summer you are lucky to get a breeze, but most of the rest of the year its sometimes annoying its so strong, it doesn't help that we are in a new neighborhood at the end with no houses or trees to break the wind on the north side.
We are in the process right now having a 6' privacy fence installed along the North side which will likely be about 4-5 ft off the coop. The coop will be 8'7" at its peak.

I have not decided where to put the nesting boxes or roosts because I figured it may be easier to decide once I have the ventilation worked out. Right?? :th
Hopefully this all makes sense because I feel pretty brain dead this morning, spent a late night talking with my HOA over some beers about the coop LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 15
  • coop.png
    coop.png
    286.5 KB · Views: 14
I don't have a ton of advice on ventilation, but I think based on your pictures it would make more sense to have your storage section be the north end with the door, so you don't have to walk through the coop to get to your storage, and the window on the east side would open into the coop area.

There are many posts on here where people make their nest boxes in the "inside" wall so they're not exposed to the elements but they don't have to go into the chicken part of the coop to collect eggs, which is an idea I really like!

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I would consider removing the back windows and covering in hardware cloth so they stay open all the time. You can consider roof vent like they do on houses. :confused:

How much fun that you get to start all new! :wee

I'm still learning what does and doesn't work here. :pop

Ok so I have considered changing to have the door on the back with a window, the door entering into the storage and the coop sectioned off to the right. Then the front of the shed is he two functioning windows and add a chicken door.
Put gable vents on sides up top and maybe a lower vent on the north side where the storage is?

Attachments

• F935C13F-BA7C-4EC4-A59D-BBE565627FF3.jpeg
    F935C13F-BA7C-4EC4-A59D-BBE565627FF3.jpeg
    175.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1EACB466-DFAF-402E-A0BB-02BAD7D5302B.jpeg
    1EACB466-DFAF-402E-A0BB-02BAD7D5302B.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom