Shed door broken and my EE has nowhere to sleep!

Dawnclucks22

Crowing
May 28, 2017
Naboo
Hey BYC. I've been posting a whole lot lately but this is something I really need advice on. Some of you probably know about my EE who is lowest on the pecking order, Lucille, who sleeps in a different spot than the other girls because she gets bullied in the small space of the coop. For several nights now she's slept in our shed right next to the coop on a makeshift roost, but the shed door broke suddenly! And of course, that's a definite no-go for predators.
I do have an old, flimsy cage we used to keep our rabbit in and I put her in the garage. But the sudden noise of the garage opening and closing startles her (understandably - if I were in her shoes I would too) and she doesn't seem comfortable being so low to the ground. What can I do? I want her to have her own place to be but I don't think the garage will fit! Thanks in advance :)

When i brought two new chickens home and introduced them to my original flock, things did not go as well as I had expected. I put them in a wired dog crate that I have with a couple of small boards for a make-shift roost and straw on the bottom. I put the new girls in the crate and placed the shut crate in a corner near the rest of my girls in the coop. For a week - 2 weeks, the new ones would free range with the rest of the gals by day, and at dusk they new to roost in the crate until the other girls finally invited them to roost with the rest of the flock. I then took the crate away. Hopefully this will help or inspire ideas. Good Luck!

When i brought two new chickens home and introduced them to my original flock, things did not go as well as I had expected. I put them in a wired dog crate that I have with a couple of small boards for a make-shift roost and straw on the bottom. I put the new girls in the crate and placed the shut crate in a corner near the rest of my girls in the coop. For a week - 2 weeks, the new ones would free range with the rest of the gals by day, and at dusk they new to roost in the crate until the other girls finally invited them to roost with the rest of the flock. I then took the crate away.
I definitely will have to try to re-integrate her in... but where did they sleep? In the crate outside?

Great idea! Get one big enough that Lucille will have her on space, put her food & water in it, put the cage in the coop in a nice cozy spot. Maybe in time the flock will accept her and if not, she has her safe spot with their company.

because she gets bullied in the small space of the coop
Guessing that coop is not big enough for crate?
That is the best place to have it tho.
If your having bullying/integration problems....
...maybe your coop and run is not big enough for the number of birds or integration?

The garage might not be safe if vehicles are started in there.
You could always fix the shed door?

Back
Top Bottom