1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shed into Coop - Need Ideas & Suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clickdb, Jun 22, 2015.

1. clickdb

clickdb Chillin' With My Peeps

Now with cleats!
    [​IMG]

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Will the linoleum be OK under the straw and pine chips in the chicken house?

Yes, I think that is fine for the floor. Welcome to the crazy world of chickens! Be careful, they multiply fast...;-}

3. Cheryl Reese

Cheryl Reese New Egg

Jul 4, 2015
    Not unless I get a rooster they won't!

4. clickdb

Check out Chicken Math... It proves you don't need a rooster to end up with more chickens lol.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959472/chicken-math/

Today I made the decision to cover the floor with vinyl tiles, in a year I will re-evaluate and make sure there is no rot. Tiles purchased, but not installed yet. Hopefully I have time to work on it tomorrow.
    I also decided to take the suggestion of preventing the chickens from getting up into the rafters, for now it's blocked off with netting. Hard to take a picture that shows it.

Next steps will be to move the run I already have to the shed's location, and secure it. I'm gonna have to bribe some friends to help with that.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

6. curtisbirds

curtisbirds Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Mississippi
    My husband is a contractor of 25 years and I asked him about your floor, I just rotted mine out on purpose it was already really rough. He said that linoleum, sealers, or anything like that will break down eventually and they will leech chemicals into your bedding that can cause you and the chickens possible issues. He said the best would be to get 6 mil plastic sheeting and cover the wood and up the wall the depth of your litter and staple it at the top it hold in place sealing any seams with liquid nails, but again that it just his humble opinion

7. bbhorsefly

bbhorsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2015
    I am converting my shed too! It's 8'x14.' I put a solid piece of linoleum on the floor and tacked the edges. I'm going to do the roosts with poop board method. That is said to contain and eliminate 90% of mess and 100% of the smell in a coop. It can be swept out and spot cleaned periodically. I would imagine it will break down along the same time line that it would break down if it were in a room in my house. Except the chickens are not so hard on it. I've lived with the stick on tiles in 3 house bathrooms and a kitchen. They were awful. No matter how carefully they were installed, they would shift and gaps would open up. Once there was a major spill or a toilet overflowed, there would be warping and separation on seams from water getting down between. I redid one of those bathrooms and there was dirt and moisture under all the seams. Once, I put sheet plastic down and then stuck the tiles to that for a separate project and it worked much better. But it was a lot more time and effort then the one piece linoleum I just put in my coop. I got a 10'x15' piece at Lowes for $45. Bonus that it looks like plank hardwood!

8. clickdb

That is awesome. i appreciate the advice! i  am going to return my tiles and get the plastic sheeting,  that really sounds like a great idea.  i'll feel better about having the base board area covered as well.

Nice find on the vinyl floor piece, the lowes and home depot by me didnt have any remnants for sale, and the cost per square foot adds up really fast.  I know where you are coming from with the tiles, i used to have them in the kitchen and laundry areas of my old place i was renting.  they were a pain in the rear, got dirty, and came up pretty easily.  i guess i was trying to take a shortcut and just be done with it; out of sight out of mind. i know it would have constantly bugged me.

finished securing the netting on the rafters, thanks @aart for posting the picture of your setup. really nice!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    The chickens will shred the plastic, I would not try that. You want something good to cover the floor. Go to Lowes and buy a big bucket of Blackjack #57. It's a rubberized roof coat product. If it can stand up to what mother nature throws at it year round, on a roof, protecting a chicken coop floor is nothing to it. Unlike vinyl or linoleum, this stuff bonds tight to the floor. Nothing will get under it. It totally seals all floor joints, and the seam/gap where the walls meet the floor. To apply, just stir well (The most important part), then just dump on the floor and push it around with a paint roller on a stick/mop handle. I have had this stuff down in my coop for over 5 yrs, and it looks the same as it did when I first put it down. IMO, it's the best coop floor protector you can get.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto on the shredding......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by