Shed into Coop - Need Ideas & Suggestions

clickdb

Chirping
May 22, 2015
High Desert, Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hey everyone, I am in the planning stages of converting a shed on my property into a coop. Before i go all in, i want to have a decent plan for reconditioning the interior into a good coop.
Here's the shed, which is 20'x12', but i will only be using a 12'x12' area as the coop living space. The front door will open into the coop, and there is a separate side door to access the remaining 8'x12' storage area.

Here is an aerial view of the coop and run areas. The shed is outlined in blue, a 10'x12' growout/separation run (fully covered) is in yellow, and a 36'x24' fenced run is in green. They will also have over 2 acres to free range on.

all suggestions are welcome, i am really excited to make a larger home for my chickens! (also, then i can get more of them hehe)

Thoughts RE: Blackjack 57
1. I am pleased with the results, it now seems to have bonded well with the wood.
2. Applying this stuff is absolutely a multi day project. I read that it's dry time is 4 hours, so I went black in to touch up some spots and my shoes were pulling up chunks, ripping it, etc. Apply it, and leave it alone until the next day.
3. As mentioned above, it must be spread, not rolled on.
4. Using the paint brush for the seams, corners and edges worked really well. It was also perfect to spot patch the floor where I tore it up, and anyplace it looked too thin after drying (ie could see the wood through it).
5. Many reviews of this product online mention that it cracks when drying. This is true, BUT only in places where it was too thick. The paintbrush easily filled these cracks, and they only occurred in places around the edges where it pooled a little bit.

I'm sure many of these things are obvious to people who have worked with this type of sealer before, but I hope these observations can help other coop builders like myself in the future!

Edit to add:
6. Stir the stuff up good. Stir, stir, and stir some more. When you think it's mixed well enough, keep stirring! If you take a break, stir it again when you get back to it. When ready to do touchups, stir! I used a price of 1/2 inch metal conduit I had laying around and in glad I did. A piece of wood would have broken and given me splinters as I tried to stir.

Last edited:
I was feeling industrious and bored this afternoon so I went ahead and built the pop door. I made all the cuts with a very small hand saw, after starting the corners with a 3/4" spade bit (so the saw blade would fit in). i plan to add a couple steps on it so it is the ramp when it is open, and of course a latch.

How will you seal the openings in winter?

Ventilation is not the same as big holes in the walls. That seems good this time of year. And it does let air in.

But what you really want is air exchange, while excluding winters cold and frigid winds.
Big holes in the gables kinda defeat this.

Ventilation is typically achieved by inlets top and bottom, usually rain shielded. The rest of the house is kept tight.
One line of inlets is near the floor, with an exterior flashing cover over each to keep out rain.
The second, or exhaust vent, is near the roof line, protected by the roof overhang against driving rain there.
Windows that tilt out from the bottom or top have also been used to do the same.

The idea is to let out the respiration moisture that comes of keeping birds in an enclosed space, along with their raw animal heat. As you can guess, moisture in a desert environment is not such an issue, but once you close things up for winter, that changes.

Insulating is also an excellent plan. Have you considered it?.

Last edited:
My son and I are also converting a shed. It was built 70+ years ago and is rock solid, except for the roof. We are rebuilding the trusses and laying down a new roof. I'm still debating whether or not I should cut off access to the rafters. I love seeing all the coop builds and what elements are incorporated as well as the advice on flooring. Here's a picture of the shed, sans roof.
Great template to work from! I've been really fortunate for all the ideas in this thread; for example i would not have thought to block access to the rafters, probably until i walked under a chicken at the wrong time lol.

My son and I are also converting a shed. It was built 70+ years ago and is rock solid, except for the roof. We are rebuilding the trusses and laying down a new roof. I'm still debating whether or not I should cut off access to the rafters. I love seeing all the coop builds and what elements are incorporated as well as the advice on flooring. Here's a picture of the shed, sans roof.
Love the shed.
love.gif
It has so much character already! I get so excited to see all the ingenius ideas people are coming up with to recycle these older buildings. What a creative project to move thru. It does my heart good to see them useful again. And what better use than to give it to some beautiful birds that reward us with their funny little antics and fresh eggs.

I have to agree with the other post that says to block off the attic. I dont like my birds to get all up in there.
he.gif
LOL
Enjoy your conversion....
frow.gif

Marie

The Shed-Coop has passed its first test of the elements, we had a freak thunderstorm that dumped 2 inches of rain on us this weekend (crazy for southern california in the summer), making everything a muddy, sloppy mess. But the interior of the shed is dry, even with the gable vents and windows open! I feel bad for my chickens, their run flooded and made a huge mess where they are now, so i will be looking for some dry straw to put down in the coop and get them moved! (i had two bales that are now soaked completely through)

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this process, I will post some pics soon, after they have moved.
Yes, I know, I was so pleased to see that we received rain here to help with the drought.

Glad your coop/ shed held up thru that!

My chickens loved coming out after the rain. They were zooming back and forth across the lawn fighting over all the bugs and worms. They seem to not mind the rain if it isnt a heavy downpour.

Cant wait to see your pics!

Marie

Thanks everyone. Today after work I coerced my oldest boy into helping me move the metal gazebo frame (fenced in 10x10' run) down the hill, over to the shed. What an adventure lol.
Tomorrow I'll put the shade back on it and secure it so it can be used. There will be an additional 24x36' fenced area for them once I can get a post pounder, until then they can just free range haha.

My latest addition: the Panic Room
Each of the 4 corners have a small door for my 6 week old chicks, there are 6 Australorps and 3 Easter Eggers that are currently occupying the room :)

Cool!

Some mesh panels in the sides might be something you want to add...for ventilation and visual contact for all the birds.

Back
Top Bottom