Shed into Coop - Need Ideas & Suggestions

Progress this evening, it finally cooled off enough to work on the coop.
Got a great deal on reject 12' 2x4s for the roosts, so I can work on that over the weekend.
My little helper :)

Today's update! I installed 30' of roosts, installed hooks for hanging food and water, and got the divider up across the shed (to separate storage and coop areas). Also added an 8" board across the door (and across the divider wall) to contain floor materials.
Tomorrows project will be making a ramp up to the roosts.

My challenges that I need to solve before I can move my chickens are how to seal the floor, and how to cut the pop door. I know I could just go buy more extension cords, I need about 100 more feet to get my saw down there.
As far as sealing the floor, would deck seal be sufficient or should I look into something like a tar spread?

Looks like your moving right along! Good job
thumbsup.gif

On sealing the floor I really dont know what would be best. I usually just rely on the hardware store to guide me. If you explain what you are doing they usually know the right product for the job. I have had really good luck going to the "pro" desk and asking questions.
Marie

Thanks! I feel like it's making real progress now, I want to get as much done this weekend before I have to go back to work (foot surgury, hence the crutches that are visible in some of the pictures). Tomorrow I will figure out the floor, and cut the door.

I also have a building that I am using for my chicken house. It is about 10x14 ft. and it has linoleum on the floor which I have covered with straw I have a few boards for roosts and a table that I'm going to put their nest boxes on. It only has one window though..........should I put a fan in the window? I just moved my young chickens out to the building yesterday and they seem to be doing fine now. I'm in Oklahoma and it can get kind of hot, but after they are well acquainted with their building I had hoped to let them free range in my fenced in back yard, but was just informed they could get over my 4 ft. chain link fence. So I will either keep their wings clipped (I raise parrots so I know how to do this, or I will need to build them a pen. I have a 50' foot roll of 14 gauge welded wire that is stored at a friends place and I'm waiting for her to bring it to me. I might just angle it in from the top of the fence which was also suggested on another thread. Will the linoleum be OK under the straw and pine chips in the chicken house?

I've been keeping and breeding parrots for 30 years, but these are my first chickens.....they are about 8 weeks old. (3 Barred Rock, 1 R.I. Red, 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Americauna).

P.S. I used to keep my breeder parrots in this building but have moved them into the garage.

I was feeling industrious and bored this afternoon so I went ahead and built the pop door. I made all the cuts with a very small hand saw, after starting the corners with a 3/4" spade bit (so the saw blade would fit in). i plan to add a couple steps on it so it is the ramp when it is open, and of course a latch.

Oooooo, what a great building!
Love the door/ramp!
Might want to put a few cleats on it for traction.

Gable vent looks pretty good...did you do both ends?

Agrees that blocking roosting access to the truss bottoms might be a good idea.
I'd be tempted to tack some foam boards on them or the rafter bottoms to help insulate the coop against the heat.

Not a fan of DLM in the coop, especially a floored coop.
DLM needs moisture to really function/compost well, and you're smart to consider rotting out the floor.

It's pretty humid almost year round where I live and my goal is to keep humidity out of the coop as much as possible especially in the frigid winters.
I use roost boards with sand and PDZ and sift the poops out every 2-3 days to take to compost outside the coop.
My floor is covered with single sheet heavy vinyl and pine shavings which I totally change out 1-2 times a year to compost, again outside the coop.

Just some ideas, not sure they apply to your climate.
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your coop.
Green eyes for your green building.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yes. I'm going to add some traction to the door/ramp for them, scouring the wood pile for some material today (ran out of time yesterday).
The gable vents are on both sides, it is distinctly cooler inside the coop than out. When I was cutting out the door, it finally popped open and a very nice breeze hit me, felt really good lol (temps are over 100 all the time here).
Over the last couple days I have been thinking more about sand as the floor, thanks for the notes about how you did it. Humidity is never a problem here, haha.
This entire process all I have had to buy so far is the 2x4s for the roosts (and supports), the board to divide the floor, and some screws. Everything else is scrap wood and various fencing that the previous owner of my house left behind.
Like you said, trying to keep it green :)

Actually the 'green eyed' is referencing my jealousy for your green colored building.
Have you ever heard the phrase 'green eyed monster'?

Time will tell what you need to manage the chooks in the heat, they are pretty vulnerable to overheating.
But you have an advantage in your low humidity......misting system would work good in your climate.

Back
Top Bottom