Shed into Coop - Need Ideas & Suggestions

Awesome shed ideas! We have a 30 year old storage shed (that doubles as a brown recluse breeding factory) that we've decided to convert into a coop for our Doms and Swedish Flower Hens. Fortunately, it has a lot of built ins that are being swapped into nest boxes and storage closets! Also fortunate, I'm pretty sure the spiders are being managed by some greedy young chickies.

This is today after repairing the original not-so-screened door.

Thoughts RE: Blackjack 57
1. I am pleased with the results, it now seems to have bonded well with the wood.
2. Applying this stuff is absolutely a multi day project. I read that it's dry time is 4 hours, so I went black in to touch up some spots and my shoes were pulling up chunks, ripping it, etc. Apply it, and leave it alone until the next day.
3. As mentioned above, it must be spread, not rolled on.
4. Using the paint brush for the seams, corners and edges worked really well. It was also perfect to spot patch the floor where I tore it up, and anyplace it looked too thin after drying (ie could see the wood through it).
5. Many reviews of this product online mention that it cracks when drying. This is true, BUT only in places where it was too thick. The paintbrush easily filled these cracks, and they only occurred in places around the edges where it pooled a little bit.

I'm sure many of these things are obvious to people who have worked with this type of sealer before, but I hope these observations can help other coop builders like myself in the future!

Edit to add:
6. Stir the stuff up good. Stir, stir, and stir some more. When you think it's mixed well enough, keep stirring! If you take a break, stir it again when you get back to it. When ready to do touchups, stir! I used a price of 1/2 inch metal conduit I had laying around and in glad I did. A piece of wood would have broken and given me splinters as I tried to stir.

Last edited:
Thoughts RE: Blackjack 57
1. I am pleased with the results, it now seems to have bonded well with the wood.
2. Applying this stuff is absolutely a multi day project. I read that it's dry time is 4 hours, so I went black in to touch up some spots and my shoes were pulling up chunks, ripping it, etc. Apply it, and leave it alone until the next day.
3. As mentioned above, it must be spread, not rolled on.
4. Using the paint brush for the seams, corners and edges worked really well. It was also perfect to spot patch the floor where I tore it up, and anyplace it looked too thin after drying (ie could see the wood through it).
5. Many reviews of this product online mention that it cracks when drying. This is true, BUT only in places where it was too thick. The paintbrush easily filled these cracks, and they only occurred in places around the edges where it pooled a little bit.

I'm sure many of these things are obvious to people who have worked with this type of sealer before, but I hope these observations can help other coop builders like myself in the future!
Great follow up!

My plan is to let the floor finish curing this week so there is no question about odors etc, and time permitting this week I will move my existing run to its location on the side of the shed. (Along with my existing, sadly undersized coop lol). Either this weekend or next, my chicks will be moving in to their new home!
Any other thoughts about final preparations?

My plan is to let the floor finish curing this week so there is no question about odors etc, and time permitting this week I will move my existing run to its location on the side of the shed. (Along with my existing, sadly undersized coop lol). Either this weekend or next, my chicks will be moving in to their new home!
Any other thoughts about final preparations?

Nicely done ! Like you found out, Blackjack really needs a minimum of 24 hours cure time. I found that spreading was easier with a stiff bristle boat brush (12" wide and with a strong handle) than it was with the roller or other means. My only wish is that it came in white, would have been nice to have the lighter color in our coop.

Tip for others: use a 1/2" or larger electric drill with 10 to 14 amps power rating and a heavy duty stir rod (like for drywall mud mixing) it make the stirring a lot easier.

Awesome shed ideas! We have a 30 year old storage shed (that doubles as a brown recluse breeding factory) that we've decided to convert into a coop for our Doms and Swedish Flower Hens. Fortunately, it has a lot of built ins that are being swapped into nest boxes and storage closets! Also fortunate, I'm pretty sure the spiders are being managed by some greedy young chickies.

This is today after repairing the original not-so-screened door.

Very cute, yum spidies for the girls
sickbyc.gif

Just checking in with some small things and thoughts. I did lower one of the roosts (8') down to about 26" high. if it never gets used at that height, at least the holes are already drilled to move it back up lol.

I have also thought about putting in a solar led light, not anything bright (I don't intend to make them lay all winter, and days are plenty long right now). I've seen other threads where people have done this, is there a reason not to?

The Shed-Coop has passed its first test of the elements, we had a freak thunderstorm that dumped 2 inches of rain on us this weekend (crazy for southern california in the summer), making everything a muddy, sloppy mess. But the interior of the shed is dry, even with the gable vents and windows open! I feel bad for my chickens, their run flooded and made a huge mess where they are now, so i will be looking for some dry straw to put down in the coop and get them moved! (i had two bales that are now soaked completely through)

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this process, I will post some pics soon, after they have moved.

The Shed-Coop has passed its first test of the elements, we had a freak thunderstorm that dumped 2 inches of rain on us this weekend (crazy for southern california in the summer), making everything a muddy, sloppy mess. But the interior of the shed is dry, even with the gable vents and windows open! I feel bad for my chickens, their run flooded and made a huge mess where they are now, so i will be looking for some dry straw to put down in the coop and get them moved! (i had two bales that are now soaked completely through)

Thank you to everyone who has participated in this process, I will post some pics soon, after they have moved.
Yes, I know, I was so pleased to see that we received rain here to help with the drought.

Glad your coop/ shed held up thru that!

My chickens loved coming out after the rain. They were zooming back and forth across the lawn fighting over all the bugs and worms. They seem to not mind the rain if it isnt a heavy downpour.

Cant wait to see your pics!

Marie

Back
Top Bottom