Shed into Coop - Need Ideas & Suggestions

Home sweet home :D

They figured out how to use the ladder after I showed one of them, now they are all piled up on it in the corner lol.

The coop looks great!!!

"He said that linoleum, sealers, or anything like that will break down eventually and they will leech chemicals into your bedding that can cause you and the chickens possible issues. He said the best would be to get 6 mil plastic sheeting"

That was a quote
2b06.png
What I don't understand is how a sheet of plastic sheeting would be better than linoleum that we have all had in our houses for 25 years? I understand that after maybe. 50 years it might crack and fade but "leech chemicals "???

Plastic is plastic is plastic no??

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Today after work I coerced my oldest boy into helping me move the metal gazebo frame (fenced in 10x10' run) down the hill, over to the shed. What an adventure lol.
Tomorrow I'll put the shade back on it and secure it so it can be used. There will be an additional 24x36' fenced area for them once I can get a post pounder, until then they can just free range haha.

My shed has a plywood floor can I do the DLM method? or will my wood rot out?
I would recommend doing a read through of the DLM thread, but chances are YES. It would also depend on the climate, its its naturally wetter it could rot faster. I decided against using it on my wood flooring, even though i gave a generous coating of bj57 (see above).

People in that thread may have some more direct answers to your question, with first hand experience.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/70/deep-litter-method
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=DLM+Deep+Litter+Method

My latest addition: the Panic Room
Each of the 4 corners have a small door for my 6 week old chicks, there are 6 Australorps and 3 Easter Eggers that are currently occupying the room :)

Cool!

Some mesh panels in the sides might be something you want to add...for ventilation and visual contact for all the birds.

Back
Top Bottom