Shed Roof Coop Layout

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Nov 29, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I plan on building a 4x8 Shed Roof style coop next Spring. Looking for feedback on interior layouts/window placement/access doors. Would any one like to share what they have done?
    Appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. sashurlow

sashurlow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    West Rutland, VT
    sorry to break it to you, but "lean-to" is a VERY New England term. Your are going to have to describe what you want more.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    I'm sure he means a coop with a pitched "shed" roof rather than a gable or hip style roof.

4. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Yes. I am just curious as to how people are utilizing the space ie. Roosting Bar Placement, Nest Boxes Placement, Vents/Window Placement, Cleanout Doors, Poop Boards etc...
    Looking fro ideas, that's all.
    Thanks,
    Steve

5. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    [​IMG]

Just to make sure. You are talking about the roof style on the bottom right, correct?

When you say lean-to I think of one of these:
    [​IMG]

6. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Yes. Shed Roof.
    I have changed the Subject Line.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    My new coop is shed style:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

With a 4' by 8' shed, I'd imagine you'd want the front and back walls to be the long ones, and have the roof pitched from the front wall to the back wall. You might need to put the door on the front (long) wall rather than the side (as I did) because the roof pitch will interfere with the door placement ...unless you make your coop very tall or your door very short.

Putting vents at the top of the front and back walls in a shed style coop works beautifully!

8. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    really cute!

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:I call it a lean-to type roof, too. [​IMG] Anyhow....

I'd put the roosts on the back/high side, spanning the 4' dimension. Under these I would have a dropping board with nest boxes tucked under the dropping board. A door/flap on that end of the coop could double for sliding the dropping board out for cleaning and also for retrieving eggs. Putting the roosts at the end of the coop with the highest wall will give them the most "headroom" for ventilation to happen overhead and not be directly on them. Tucking the roosts in one end of the coop could possibly allow for a small window/door to be left open at the front during cold weather.

I would definitely have a large door centrally located on one of the long sides so that you can reach any area inside the coop. I would put a removable "lip" to keep litter from falling out there *and* to be able to remove for cleaning chores.

If the coop is to be an elevated coop (not a walk-in) build the floor of the coop so that when it has a full depth of litter in it your stomach will just clear it when you bend over into it...will help to keep your belly from getting in the way and from getting some nifty-looking smears on your shirt. [​IMG]

Waterer and feeder will have to go where available.

Just some quick thoughts.

Ed

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Look at my BYC page for my 8X12 Slanted roof Shed style Coop, been in use over 15 years. I recommend a sub-ground level dirt floor with deep litter method.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by