Shed Roof Coop Layout

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
I plan on building a 4x8 Shed Roof style coop next Spring. Looking for feedback on interior layouts/window placement/access doors. Would any one like to share what they have done?
Appreciate it.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Yes. I am just curious as to how people are utilizing the space ie. Roosting Bar Placement, Nest Boxes Placement, Vents/Window Placement, Cleanout Doors, Poop Boards etc...
Looking fro ideas, that's all.
Thanks,
Steve

photo2a.gif

Just to make sure. You are talking about the roof style on the bottom right, correct?

When you say lean-to I think of one of these:
fig5-9-field-expedient-lean-to-and-fire-reflector.gif

My new coop is shed style:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=32217-the-just-right-coop

With a 4' by 8' shed, I'd imagine you'd want the front and back walls to be the long ones, and have the roof pitched from the front wall to the back wall. You might need to put the door on the front (long) wall rather than the side (as I did) because the roof pitch will interfere with the door placement ...unless you make your coop very tall or your door very short.

Putting vents at the top of the front and back walls in a shed style coop works beautifully!

Quote:
I call it a lean-to type roof, too.
wink.png
Anyhow....

I'd put the roosts on the back/high side, spanning the 4' dimension. Under these I would have a dropping board with nest boxes tucked under the dropping board. A door/flap on that end of the coop could double for sliding the dropping board out for cleaning and also for retrieving eggs. Putting the roosts at the end of the coop with the highest wall will give them the most "headroom" for ventilation to happen overhead and not be directly on them. Tucking the roosts in one end of the coop could possibly allow for a small window/door to be left open at the front during cold weather.

I would definitely have a large door centrally located on one of the long sides so that you can reach any area inside the coop. I would put a removable "lip" to keep litter from falling out there *and* to be able to remove for cleaning chores.

If the coop is to be an elevated coop (not a walk-in) build the floor of the coop so that when it has a full depth of litter in it your stomach will just clear it when you bend over into it...will help to keep your belly from getting in the way and from getting some nifty-looking smears on your shirt.
big_smile.png

Waterer and feeder will have to go where available.

Just some quick thoughts.

Ed

Quote:
Look at my BYC page for my 8X12 Slanted roof Shed style Coop, been in use over 15 years. I recommend a sub-ground level dirt floor with deep litter method.

Back
Top Bottom