Shedding duck bill?

In winter last year two of my ducks had the peeling beaks when it was cold/dry. I washed their beaks with warm water and put a thin layer of Vaseline on it (don't get it in their nares, if possible) they healed up very quickly after that.

Hey i know this was from along time ago but you saod you had an indoor drake. I'm wondering was he potty trained? I have 2 mallards they come in often but don't live inside.
Hmm, I don't think that's it, because I used to have an indoor drake and it happened to him too. I run a humidifier in the winter (for the sake of my own skin) plus he had a bathtub 24/7. I've never seen it look raw or anything, definitely no blood, just a little more orange underneath instead of the normal yellow. Here's my indoor boy Louie (he liked to nibble on my fuzzy socks, lol); you can see the flakiness and the orange-y spots on his bill, and he didn't start molting until a couple of months later.

If you look through my pics on here I think you can see it on some of my other boys too.

Hey i know this was from along time ago but you saod you had an indoor drake. I'm wondering was he potty trained? I have 2 mallards they come in often but don't live inside.
Nope, definitely not. When I have to keep ducks indoors I usually put down cheap fleece blankets and just do loads of duck laundry, add Lysol with the detergent, and rinse the machine a time or two before I wash anything else.

Back
Top Bottom