sheep and goats as meat

d1

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Saucier,Ms.
the thread about getting milk,meat,and fiber got me to thinking when I was younger and staying with a friend,his mother fixed mutton(sheep)in gravey I remember helping dispatch and clean him but cant remember if we did anything other than skin,quarter,and cut him up.

is this right or is there any thing else,bleeding out,soaking in ice water or anything I need to know?

also what do you do to to clean goats? I have ate it just never cleaned one
hu.gif
but willing to try
big_smile.png

While I did not do the deed myself, I took one of our lambs to a friend who killed, skinned, gutted and quartered him for me. All this was done while I watched, and what seemed like only a short time it was done. I took it home and finished cutting up then immediately froze. There was no hanging time, no chilling, no brining etc. The butchering process was basically like you would do a deer. I have no idea if this is typical as it was my first. A month later I smoked a leg and shoulder for a family gathering, and it was picked clean. I have never done goats, but would think it would be the same???

He did kill by slitting the throat. It was quick. He hung and bled out, than began the skinning.

Last edited:
I prefer to hang all my meat for a time...let the muscle break down a little...if it is nice and cool I do it in the garage...otherwise you need a large cooler...

all animals are basically the same...kill, bleed-out, remove viscera (guts) and skin...then it is up to what you want it for and how you want to prepare it...

My grandma told me not to let the hair get on the meat...probably bc like deer it is hard to then get OFF of the meat. A goat is slaughtered like a deer, bleed it and then skin it and cut it up. At least that's what I have been told. I haven't done one yet, but I have a couple that are about to be in the freezer if they don't quit making trouble..lol.

Back
Top Bottom