How is she behaving?
I would keep a very close eye on her energy level. If she it start declining, get her on antibiotics immediately, if she is already on on them. However, I would,not necessarily start them now if she is not on them.
I had a hen with what looked like a wound all the way through the skin and she recovered with just me cleaning her wound and applying Neosporin it and also keeping her separated from other chickens while she healed.
She’s been behaving great, she is active and very alert. Only signs of pain are sometimes when I have to clean her wounds and reapply triple antibiotic creams.

About six days ago my girl was mauled and I have been tending to her wounds, one of her injuries was the first layer of skin being ripped off her. What I didn’t notice was she has a very deep flap hiding the second layer of skin that is detached from the second. It looks quite nasty. Our vet is always trigger happy on culling girls so I would like a second opinion (he tells us to cull our girls at any minor injury 🥶). Would it be possible to but back the detached flap hiding the second layer of skin and clean and treat her. If so how should I do it, considering it will likely bleed quite a bit. I’m willing to pay for antibiotics or anything she needs to fix her up, but I want to know if it’s possible to cut off the flap in the pictures, because it’s almost impossible to clean and treat inside (I’ve been trying). Everywhere else has healed amazing, and she’s acting normal.
View attachment 3700349View attachment 3700351

oh this is really bad i must say you need plenty of stuff or stitch but don’t stitch as chickens skin and healing process is very good if u can wrap it up slightly tight the skin will stick and start forming the scab but i will first clean it , disinfectant it and use Silevrx heal gel - Collodiol silver ointment it will keep the wound moist and heal it
also give some antibiotics like neomycin in water for 3 days to 5 days 2x a day for fast healing and no infection
dose is 25-30mg per kg / every 12h

Definitely have to get saline to flush her out and will stop on the hydrogen peroxide! Most of the skin seems live still (im not sure how as though it’s connected to most of the other 1st layer skin, but the portion is not attached to the actual body). The skin flap seems to be inhibiting healing and I’m scared on how to remove it
Just play it by ear. I know it is daunting, but it is possible that the skin will still adhere. You will be able to tell if it is not, it will get dry and dead looking. That is when you will cut it back. A wound like this will heal from the edges inward, if the flap dies off.

UPDATES! She’s doing amazing, thanks to the amazing help of you guys. I have kept her inside with occasional play time out with the girls. Do you guys think she’s healed enough to stay in full time?

Attachments

• IMG_2984.jpeg
    IMG_2984.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2983.jpeg
    IMG_2983.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 6
UPDATES! She’s doing amazing, thanks to the amazing help of you guys. I have kept her inside with occasional play time out with the girls. Do you guys think she’s healed enough to stay in full time?
What ended up happening to the flap. We have very similar situation. Day three no infection, but the flap still open. She acts fine and eats fine too.

Back
Top Bottom