Sheep Dog and Chickens

6Happiness

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2010
As we are planning to get Babydolls (sheep) in the near future, and as we wanted a guard dog in general, we got a 3.5 - 4mo old, Polish Tatra Sheep Dog. There is very little info on the specific breed, and what there is is of course related to sheep.

I would like to be able to let the chickens continue to free range, but the dog thinks they are the greatest things in the world to chase. Can I train him to accept the chickens as part of his family to guard, and if so, how?

Can I train him to accept the chickens as part of his family to guard, and if so, how?

Yes it can POSSIBLY be done with lots of work and patience.

One of the quickest ways is to use a shock collar and correct him any time he touches or chases the birds.
A smart dog will learn in just a day or two.

Watch them from a distance because the dog probably won't misbehave if you are close by, and you don't want him to associated the correction with you

The only other way would be a leash and LOTS of time spent watching them, which is a much harder method since the dog wouldn't behave the same with you there

You may be able to find some more training tips here also:

http://www.bountifulfarm.com/lgd_seminar.htm

While I know nothing about the Polish Tatra, I do have Pyrenees female that I had the same problems with. We use Hi Tensile electric fencing for our sheep, and while small the pup was able to go through the fences and get to the chickens. While she was not aggressively attacking them, she would “play” with them and did kill one. I finally had to keep her penned during the day unless I was out where I could monitor her. At night I would turn her out where she could visit the other dog and the sheep, or be in the barn yard. When she was big enough she went in with the sheep during the day then the chicken yard at night. She turned out to be a great chicken and sheep dog.

Thanks for the feedback! I hold out hope we'll be able work towards a perfect harmony.

I hold out hope we'll be able work towards a perfect harmony.

The sooner you get some sheep the better off you will be.

The younger they start, the easier it is.

And keep in mind the sheep have to learn to accept the dog also​

Back
Top Bottom