Sheep Help -ewe foaming at the mouth

Riocotesei

Songster
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
N.Texas
Hello friends, I need advice on my sheep once again.
We just went out to the barn to feed the animals 5 minutes ago, and I have a Suffolk ewe that is foaming at the mouth.
She appears to have no appetite because she is usually crazy to eat, and she wasn't interested in food at all her ears are down- indicating she doesn't feel good.
The vet is closed for the day, so I need suggestions on what I should do for her.
She is REALLY foaming, not a little bit when they are irritated from being walked on a halter or anything- its all over her muzzle and shes drooling also.
We separated her from the other sheep, but she was in with them before we took her out.
I'll be searching on the Internet but if any one knows what might be up please let me know. Thanks

I dont know if this helps....but when the clover(?) comes on in the pasture for the 1st time in a season, my horses foam and drool and get a minor belly ache from slurping down too much of it. Maybe the same kind of thing?

I read something on the internet and people were saying bloat? Which is like a stomach ache, right?
I'm going to go give her some mineral oil but I don't know how much I should giver her.
She hasn't been out on the pasture shes just had grains and sheep pellets and horse hay. I don't think she'd get a hold of any clover.

I just read that site I hope that bloat is all it is.
I have to wait for someone to come back home because I want to have help when I give it to her.
I don't think sheep get rabies...do they?

My grandmother used to run out into the pasture and put a broom handle down the throat of a cow that had bloat because it could die from it. Something about the 4 stomaches...
It let out the gas the cow could not get out herself.

Not sure that would work on a sheep of that sheep have throats big enough for a broom handle. Do you have a vet you can ask?

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/sheep/articles/sicksheep.html

some bloat remedies
http://www.lavenderfleece.com/bloat.html

Last edited:
Well my mom just got home and we went out there to giver her some mineral oil. We walked out to the pen and she was eating food and all the foam was gone. So I guess she was choking on something..? We gave her 20cc's of mineral oil for good measure just in case. Hopefully that's all that happens from this incident.
Thanks for everyone's help and responses. I swear these animals are going to give me a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom