sheep is PINK after shearing?!

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
We sheared our sheep last night with a brand new lister clipper with the wizard blade. Our little girl jacob looks very pink along her spine this morning and I can't get close enough to see if it's color on the wool (??) or the skin underneath. We sheared in the evening so there is no way she got sunburned between 9 p.m. when I put her up and 8 a.m. when I brought her out. What happened?

Maybe she got a little razor burn? My white Finn was a bit pink looking after his 1st sheering a few months ago, didn't seem to be a problem. I think Jacobs are fab btw!

My FACE should be red after posting about this.... so, it turns out that the oil in her newly shorn wool must've made the barn paint rub off on her. I noticed the areas growing redder and redder... exactly on her itchy spots! I caught her rubbing her butt and spine up and down one of the old gate posts and, sure enough, she rubbed paint on to herself. Oh, I am soooo new to this! ha ha ha ha

yuckyuck.gif

I can see myself doing the same thing (thinking there was something wrong... not rubbing my back on gate posts).

It must feel good to rub on gateposts, she's nearly blaze orange now
roll.png
Ah well, I'm never without a reason to laugh around here (99 % of the time it's at myself). Valuable lesson: when diagnosing skin conditions, try to match the color to any painted homestead feature first.

Thanks for the giggle.

and, it's better you asked a question when you first noticed something than wait until something simple became serious.

(it's still funny, though lol)

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom