Sheep

I used to have a vet, years ago, who taught me to castrate and not band, because she thought banding was cruel. So for years I did not band, believing that it was cruel. However... these days, I'm not so sure that banding is as bad as she thought it was, and in particular for tail docking. After talking with many other farmers, and personal experience, I think banding for tails can work just fine. I do give shots, however... I give CDT, which has tetanus in it.

If the animal has not received a tetanus shot (CD/T or toxoid) about ten days or so before you band, it may not prevent tetanus. It takes time for the immunity to develop. If the animal has not received CD/T before you band, give a shot of antitoxin at that time. Unlike the toxoid, the antitoxin gives immediate protection.

banding the tail at older than 3 weeks is supposed to cause pain. We had some that we bought with tails and DH lopped off the tails with a knife (kinda gross so I didnt watch but I'm assuming that it is much like cutting up a bony piece of meat-gross sounding). then we just made sure it was clean. Now we have hair sheep because of a variety of reasons but their tails are short naturally and clean but I still ring them at birth.

It may cause pain for a short while, but it isn't long after the band is applied until the parts become numb.

Back
Top Bottom