Sheep

Apr 14, 2021
Hello, so I am new to owning sheep! All tips are welcomed! So I heard from a previous sheep owner that they can drown in the rain! I am absolutely terrified of this! I find myself sprinting to the field to gather the sheep (we only have 3) to get them inside the barn anytime there is light rain. I have looked it up and asked around with very contradicting results. Is this true? And if there are any tricks or tips that sheep owners use I would love to hear them as well! Thank you! 😁

Attachments

• E25947DC-433F-440B-BFD2-0B8BACC4C4AE.jpeg
    E25947DC-433F-440B-BFD2-0B8BACC4C4AE.jpeg
    891.2 KB · Views: 19
  • E9657A2E-F70C-43DC-B4E7-79B8B2EFECB9.jpeg
    E9657A2E-F70C-43DC-B4E7-79B8B2EFECB9.jpeg
    995.2 KB · Views: 9
How would they drown in the rain? Think about all the sheep that are out on the range. If what you were told was true, all those sheep would be dead.

I litterally have no idea! I just wanted to be safe rather than sorry and ask
I have heard this same nonsense about geese and turkeys. Supposedly they will lift their heads up in the rain and drown. They don't. It is better to be safe than sorry though. About everything.

I've never heard of this. My three sheep sometimes stand out in the rain, but if it gets really bad, they head for cover inside their shed. They don't really like to be wet. I think their wool gets uncomfortable and heavy when it is wet. They didn't like our heavy snowstorms much this year either. A few flurries or raindrops, they don't seem to mind.

Back
Top Bottom