Shelf life in the refrigerator

vermonster

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
I'm wondering how many days after slaughter a chicken can sit in the fridge before it goes bad.

My Cornish Xs are being processing next Thursday. We are hosting a large party the following Friday (8 days later), where we will roast some of those birds. Am I safe to let them sit in the fridge for those 8 days, or should I freeze them after they have rested for a day or two)?

Research tells me that the 'sell by' dates on supermarket chicken is typically 7-10 days after slaughter, so I'm thinking they will just stay in the fridge.

Google search grain of salt applies.

USDA recommends 1-2 days of refrigerated storage (40°F).

Depending upon the packaging of the chicken, how it was handled in-transit, and the temperature in the refrigerator, the chicken could last longer. For example, some refrigerators have a special meat storage drawer where the temperature is just under 32°F which will allow more shelf life.

Uncooked fresh chicken: ~2-4 days in sealed package

Personally, I wouldn't do 8 days in the fridge and then feed it to my friends. I am super food-borne illness aware though. I would freeze them for part of that time.

The USDA guideline is the recommendation for how long to store after purchase, and takes into account the time it takes to process, transport and store BEFORE you take it home from the grocery store.

I'm trying to understand how long a chicken can be stored refrigerated between slaughter and consumption (as opposed to between purchase and consumption).

Put another way... if Tyson slaughters a Chicken on July 1, and that chicken will NOT be frozen before sale, then what 'Best if Used By' date is stamped on that chicken? It's not July 2 or 3 (which is what this reading of the guidelines would suggest.) What guidelines do people on this board who sell fresh chickens use?

Quote:
I sell Fresh and Frozen chicken. If you aren't going to pickup your bird from me within 48 hours, it goes into the freezer. I am sure it could be in the fridge longer, I just don't chance someone else's health on it.

Back
Top Bottom