Shell Color Change?

lambalot87

Hatching
Aug 31, 2015
Ohio
I have 1 Americauna, 1 R. Red, 2 white Silkies, 1 Black Astolope, 5 Gold Star Comets. Most of them are 18 months old. 2 of the Comets and the Americauna are yearlings. All three babies started laying about a month (first of Aug.) They where laying light to dark brown eggs. My Silkies and Lop lay white eggs, the rest lay brown.

Now, 3 days ago I found a Silkie sized egg in my laying boxes. However, this one was different; it was a Robin blue egg.

Is this possible for them to lay different colored egg? After laying the same color for over a year.

I know it was not one of the babies because it was to big.

Thanks for reading!

I have 1 Americauna, 1 R. Red, 2 white Silkies, 1 Black Astolope, 5 Gold Star Comets. Most of them are 18 months old. 2 of the Comets and the Americauna are yearlings. All three babies started laying about a month (first of Aug.) They where laying light to dark brown eggs. My Silkies and Lop lay white eggs, the rest lay brown.

Now, 3 days ago I found a Silkie sized egg in my laying boxes. However, this one was different; it was a Robin blue egg.

Is this possible for them to lay different colored egg? After laying the same color for over a year.

I know it was not one of the babies because it was to big.

Thanks for reading!

No, they don't change egg color. What they start laying is what they will always lay, though it may fade in color as the laying cycle progresses prior to the molt. Your Easter Egger (or Ameraucana, if it is one) is the one who laid the egg-the others can't lay blue or green eggs.

Last edited:
As said their egg color never changes but it can vary in shades...

There are two egg shell colors, blue and white these 'shell' colors for all intents will never vary in color and remain constant...

What can change slightly and over the course of a season is the brown pigment application on the outside of the shell, for lighter brown and lighter green colored eggs you will never likley notice a difference in the brown coating on top of the shell, but as you get into deep dark green eggs or deep brown layers you will almost always see the brown layer application diminish to some degree over the season and return after a molt or other non-laying period... This change can be quite dramatic in some breeds like Marans that can start out with deep chocolate colored eggs in the spring and by fall be laying a medium brown rusty colored egg, but it's still a 'brown' egg it just has less 'paint' on it ;)

Thank you! I just figured out that it is my Amerc. that is laying the blue eggs. I didn't search that first because I took someones word for it. But come to find out they are blue.

Also I did read that the color of the birds ear lobes is the color they will lay. Have you ever heard this? I look and Google said the same.

Thank you! I just figured out that it is my Amerc. that is laying the blue eggs. I didn't search that first because I took someones word for it. But come to find out they are blue.

Also I did read that the color of the birds ear lobes is the color they will lay. Have you ever heard this? I look and Google said the same.
Sometimes, but not always. Usually, red earlobes lay brown eggs, but there are birds with red earlobes that lay white eggs and vice versa.

I know my RIR lays various shades of brown. Usually a darker Brown but every few eggs will be a lighter shade of brown. Usually after I supplements some crushed eggshell in her feed I will get a lighter brown egg. Maybe a calcium thing. Idk.

I have one Ameraucana hen who lays a light blue egg. She rarely lays now that she is approaching 9 years old, but when she did, late in the cycle, the egg would fade to what appeared at first glance to be white. So, same color just lighter in the cycle. Same with all other hens, generally. And they can lay a faded-looking one at any time in the cycle, too, just as a sort of glitch.

Most likely your Americauna laid the blue egg before, the silkie just happened to chose that nest to sit. I have had birds sit like they were about to lay, then get up without leaving anything (false alarm?).

Back
Top Bottom