Shell-less egg and sad pullet

ziggy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
CA Central Coast
My 23 week old EE pullet has layed two pretty light green eggs for us.
This afternoon she was all puffed up with her wings out, not panting really. It has been toasty here - 90-95 for the past two days. Didn't want the treats that she normally devours. Acting lethargic.
When I checked her out she plooped out a membrane-less and shell-less egg.

She has totally perked up since then. Eating and drinking. Looks normal.

Is it normal for them to act sick before laying a shell-less egg?

I don't know about acting sick but one of my Australorp pullets did that two weeks ago and hasn't done it since. She did it right before she began laying her normal eggs.

One of my BSL's did that two weeks ago. I don't know if any other bird out the 16 mixed breeds I have had done that since, but I actually saw her 'ploop' it out. She acted just as you described, puffy and like something was wrong, then she squatted and out came a shell-less egg with a tissue thin membrane. Before I could run over to pick it up, all the other chickens came over and ate it up. Then the plooper acted like nothing ever happened.

Today, one of my Derbyshire redcaps was hanging out in a nest box for a long time and when I came back, no egg, just a big wet spot. I don't know if she or another bird has a wet dropping or if an egg was broken in the box, but there was no shell.

Our girls keep us worrying and wondering!

Back
Top Bottom