Shell less egg

Enginerd

In the Brooder
Nov 3, 2021
I have a flock of 6. 3 black Australorps and 3 ISA reds. Today I harvested 7 eggs. I am confident they all came today. This evening, the final egg was shell-less. Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we increase their calcium available to them? I didn't expect to ever get 2 eggs a day!

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_173650463.jpg
    IMG_20211202_173650463.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 19
I have a flock of 6. 3 black Australorps and 3 ISA reds. Today I harvested 7 eggs. I am confident they all came today. This evening, the final egg was shell-less. Is this something we should be concerned about? Should we increase their calcium available to them? I didn't expect to ever get 2 eggs a day!
Chickens will sometimes lay shell less eggs occasionally. Which fine. If shes laying it coutinuesly than its a problem, but once in a while is fine. I would apply more calcium try talking some oyster shells and sprinkling on there feed. Making it more visible for the hens.

If most of you’re eggs have thin shells, you need to give more calcium. If there’s just one egg without a shell and the other shells are strong you don’t need to give more calcium. Too much calcium is not good. Consider it’s an oops eggs.
To give a bowl with easter shells on the side is okay. That way the hens pick what they need.

I do hope it’s just an oops egg, bc if a hen often lays eggs without a shell she can have an ovary problem or an internal infection.

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How long have they been laying?

Not to unusual for a second egg, and it's often soft shelled.
Probably not a lack of calcium in the diet, it takes time to make a shell(~20 hours), but...
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
How long have they been laying?

Not to unusual for a second egg, and it's often soft shelled.
Probably not a lack of calcium in the diet, it takes time to make a shell(~20 hours), but...
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
The birds are about 8 months old. The ISA reds have been laying since August. The Australorps have been laying for 1-2 months.

They get layer feed, minimal treats, and are out and about in the yard about 2 days a week.

My guess is it was the 2nd egg of the day and the shell just hadn't developed yet, but man was it weird!

Back
Top Bottom