shell-less egg

jesskoot

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 22, 2009
Central VA
I remember reading about this experience before but can't find the post... I have only 4 hens; the Australorp has been laying every=other=day for the past five weeks. Yesterday I had 3 lovely eggs in the nest boxes and was so proud! Today I find a single, egg with NO shell. Looked just like I had cracked one open in the nest, with yolk broken. Since all eggs were perfect yesterday, could this be from the last not-quite-ready girl or can they make a shell one day and not on another? And what do I do to help fix this = it was a bit shocking/creeepy to discover.

It could be a not yet ready, a trying to get it right or a lack of adequate calcium.

You can offer oyster shell free choice and give some yogurt as a snack to help boost the calcium and strengthen the shells. I tossed on of my eggs to my husband today, he missed, it hit the ground and rolled about 10 ft, didn't even crack the shell.

It could be the not quite ready hen. My ee laid 2 perfect eggs then I noticed her walking funny. The next thing I know out comes egg whites and yolk followed by a thin floppy empty "shell". It only happened once, but that was enough for me! Adding free choice calcium is a good idea either way.....

I have had two of those this week. The first one was busted in the shavings in the nest box the second was this afternoon. It was crazy getting two normal eggs and grabbing one that initially looked normal but felt like jelly. It had a complete membrane and tinting but was missing the shell. They are new layers and I figure that things are getting in order with their bodies. Thought that I'd share a couple of pics.

25718_dsc_0013.jpg

25718_dsc_0015.jpg

I had a couple of those before they started to lay- but two were already broken when I found them- yuck and one had the flimsiest papery shell that was cracked and felt like soggy cardboard. Like it tried to make a shell but didn't quite have enough calcium. I fed oyster shell and they were perfect after that. It was the last one to lay in my flock and EE, and I thought she was going to be a pink egg layer because the membrane looked pink but she lays beautiful light blue eggs.

I heard a story about one shell-less egg from a friend the other day. She used to live on a farm with chickens and a dog. One day a dog chases after the chickens, and when they run round the side of the house one girl jumps, squawks and out flies this shell-less egg. I guess she was a little surprised
wink.png
Sorry to be slightly off topic
hide.gif

Some of my hens have laid shell less eggs before. Most the time they were young layers. Like what faykokoWV said try offering them oyster shells free choice. When you use eggs you can keep the shells and feed them back to the hens. I clean my shells out (or throw out) if I'm not going to feed them right back. Make sure they have everything they need so not to get stressed. Most the time a little time is all it takes. If they are young I would not worry unless it becomes regular.

When my chickens started to lay I got a couple of these. Don't worry. Just offer oysters to them and they will eat free choice. I still get all kinds of weird eggs. Wrinkles, bumps, and odd shapes. Some looks like it was pushed out sideways.

I have 15 chickens. One started laying a good month or more before the rest. But the other 14 all seemed to start laying within a few days of each other, even though there were 8 weeks between the oldest and youngest layer. For about 3 weeks I would find one or two shell-less eggs on the droppings board under their roost. All firm shelled eggs were layed in the nesting boxes. I don't think my girls actually knew they were about to lay an egg when they roosted for the night. I had membrane eggs like the photo earlier, also had one that was half tinted membrane, half clear...it was strange to see a yolk, but not have it ooze out! I think they have got all the mechanisms in sync....they have not given me any shell-less eggs for the last 2-3 weeks. Just a new layer thing, I guess. Altho I do feed Layena by Purina, I still offer free choice oyster shell. They go through about 1/2 to 3/4 cup oyster shell a week. (including whatever they spill into the shavings!)

Back
Top Bottom