shell-less egg

Cinamen

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 5, 2011
I am new to the pet chicken thing and have a question. First let me say I have 2 Black sex links and 2 Americanas. They are named and I enjoy them. The sex links are doing great and regularly giving us eggs. I am getting some eggs from the Americanas. One of the chickens however is "pooping" egg white. She is thankfully not doing it in the nesting box but it is definately egg white (not poop). Once there also appeared to be a yolk. I am feeding them fruit & veggie scraps, they wander the yard for grass, bugs etc., and they get Layena pellet feed. Is this normal for young/new layers?

Hello!

Are you just finding a pile of eggwhites with some yolk on the floor of the coop, say under the roost? That will happen sometimes at first. Have you noticed any goopy behinds on the hens or any of them walking like penguins?

I know, I have a lot of new layers this year, and I do have some weird eggs. Some shell-less with just the membrane, and I've found some little egg puddles. Everybody seems great.

Maybe you can give your hens some crushed oyster shells. That gives them some extra calcium for those nice, strong eggshells.

Thank you for your response. They all seem healthy but I wanted to make sure this wasn't unusual.

I had to chime in because my gals first eggs had no shell either. That didn't continue though. They have free choice oyster shell in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom